Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

When you finish will Modeler Illustrated highlight your build "How to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse in ten easy steps"?

By the time they edited out all my swearing, there'd be nothing left to print!

Kev

Creeping forward with this one. I thought I'd put together a quick photo sequence showing how I've done the fastening bolts for the forward blanking plates on the birdcage turtle deck. It wasn't difficult, just fiddly.

The first step was to give the entire area a quick squirt with Mr. Surfacer, just to make sure there are no surprises lurking. Then, using a 1.2mm punch from the RP Toolz punch and die set, I punched 10 discs from thick aluminium tape, to replicate the substantial washers:

L3lSX2.jpg

They're possibly a little thin, but the utility of the self-adhesive nature of the material outweighed that relatively minor consideration.

The next step is another coat of Mr. Surfacer:

Oya6Mf.jpg

This does several things. Firstly, it gives me a better idea of what they'll look like, and whether they'll look effective. Secondly, it seals them on and helps prevent any lifting of the tape at the edges. Lastly, it provides a surface that the subsequent bolt detail can attach to, as the aluminium itself doesn't take glues all that well - especially CA. Now there's some tooth for the glue to grab on to.

So, the hex bolts were next, and I punched them out of .010 styrene, again using the RP Toolz Hex punch and die set (0.7mm). I elected to attach them using Gator's Grip acrylic glue rather than CA, as the latter can potentially affect the primer coat:

3zjCWI.jpg

They're possibly a little large, but I think they look quite effective. I chose not to add any protruding bolt detail, as it would start to make things look overscale. At normal viewing distances, the effect is quite convincing, and you don't want to overdo it. My motto for this sort of work is representation, not replication.

And here's the result after a final light coat of primer:

cZ34kl.jpg

It looks a bit agricultural, but then so does the real thing, so I think the end result will scrub up OK. I've elected to use the headrest on this build for the sake of expedience, even though, from what I can tell, birdcage Corsairs didn't have them - or at least, not those with this modification.

One step at a time!

Thanks everyone for checking in.

Kev

And wouldn't you know it, but I've already managed to knock one of the bolts off! Luckily they're easily made and replaced, but it's still a bit of a pain. They're a bit fragile and exposed, unfortunately, and that's not a good combination for me to be around!

I've just finished rescribing the blanked-off side panels, and just have to add the rivets, and I can call the turtle deck mods done.

Kev

Kev,

Now that's detailing. The end result really looks great. If it was that easy to accidently knock off a nut, I'm wondering just how strong of a bond you get from the Gator Acrylic glue? To this point the only Gator Glue I've used is their CA glues.

Joel

Thanks, fellas. The fragility of the bond has more to do with the aluminium tape I used for the washers. Nothing sticks to it very well, including Mr. Surfacer. When I examined the damage, I realised that the Gator's Grip had bonded very well with the Mr. Surfacer layer, and had pulled it clean off the aluminium tape, leaving it pristine. It was my one reservation about using this material, and I may yet live to regret it further!

Anyway, I brushed on some more Mr. Surfacer, and attached a new hex nut. I'm just gonna have to be careful, but that's hardly my forte!

Kev

Great idea punching out the washers. Maybe if you scuffed it up before you punch them out next time might give the primer a bit more tooth?

Yeah, I'm sure that would have helped, and I wish I had thought to do it!

Kev

• 1 month later...

OK, so after a brief hiatus, I've finally managed to do a little more work on this one. And it's significant in that I finally have an almost complete airframe:

itYxQq.jpg

No prizes for guessing that fitting these outer wing pieces was a bit of a nightmare, and took 2 evenings, including having to do one of them twice after I snapped it off!

The joins are a mess, and will take a bit of work to rehabilitate. The top isn't too bad:

SfaQC2.jpg

But the bottom joins are rather more of a challenge:

pwmk2y.jpg

MdzdyA.jpg

It'll be out with the epoxy putty for those!

Kev