Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

The twirly bit is done! I originally painted the spinner with Xtracolour "Sky" paint but to get the colour saturation I needed the paint was applied a little thick and it all but obliterated the thin panel line between the upper and lower sections of the spinner. sad.gif I stripped the paint, re-scribed the line deeper with a sewing needle and then repainted the spinner with a mix of Aeromaster Sky, Floquil Reefer White, and Model Master Ocean Grey mixed roughly 60/20/20% I mixed enough quantity that I'd have enough to do the fuselage band and the Squadron codes as well later on. As shown in the photo, I drilled the 8 larger dimples at the base of the spinner deeper and added photo-etch slotted head screw heads to better represent the Dzus fasteners that held the spinner on to it's backing plate. The rest is straight from the box with the exception of the prop logo decals which came from BarracudaCals. When I dry fitted the spinner to it's backing plate before painting I was concerned that I might have to glue the spinner in place as it was too loose to stay in place on it's own. Luckily, with paint applied to both spinner and backing plate, the spinner sits in place nice and tight which means I'll be able to pull the spinner off any time I want to show off all that wonderful prop hub detail!

Spinner1.jpg

Spinner2.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Wonderful work Wolf (pardon my alliteration!). Photo-etched screw heads? Sheesh...

Kev

I know, I know, but I had them, they looked like they'd work, I just had to do it! By the way, they came from a set of photo-etch fasteners meant for 1/24th scale autos and are made by Model Car Garage. They come embedded in a thin rubber mat and are individual pieces so there's no clean up required as there is if I had to cut them from a fret. Saves a lot of time and my eyesight.

Cheers,

Wolf

I know, I know, but I had them, they looked like they'd work, I just had to do it! By the way, they came from a set of photo-etch fasteners meant for 1/24th scale autos and are made by Model Car Garage. They come embedded in a thin rubber mat and are individual pieces so there's no clean up required as there is if I had to cut them from a fret. Saves a lot of time and my eyesight.

Cheers,

Wolf

Excellent idea. It really adds a lot to the spinner. There are loads of good stuff to be found at the model car aftermarket guys.

J

Guest Ta152H1

Excellent idea. It really adds a lot to the spinner. There are loads of good stuff to be found at the model car aftermarket guys.

J

They've been available in 35th scale and in various sizes since the late 90s and widely used by the AFV community.

Gentlemen, thanks for your kind words! From a personal perspective, if ever there was a kit that you were building for yourself, this is the one to spend the extra time on and add stuff as you see fit. Truly a remarkable kit from Tamiya!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf great work sir.I look forward to seeing it soon.I'm in the middle of getting a 70 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4-spd at the moment complete with air grabber hood...1/1 scale at last! If all goes well and the weather co-operates I'll take it for a run down to the Seattle show...should do ok on the hi-way I think...if you need anything else Wolf just drop me a line...cheers

Guest Ta152H1

America's Funniest Videos? who would have thought! :speak_cool:

Really great stuff Wolf.... really great

Ron

If "America's Funniest Videos" followers happen to be modelers as well,than chances are they've been using these tiny screws for years...EESTECUCFWASOYAFPMTCBSUOLSPT (Europe,Especially So The Eastern Countries Usually Come First With All Sorts Of Yummy Accessories For Plastic Models That Can Be Successfully Used On Large Scale Planes Too )!

Italy's Royal Model,Poland's Aber and Part,Czech Republic's Elefant (now OOB) and quite a few other "cottage producers" including my neighbor who's one of Italy's leading producers of 1/43 racing cars have got them listed since the late 90s !

YSHKIOSACLOSSLSPUTDBINSF (You Should Have Known Instead Of "Slotting" And Cutting Lenghts Of Stretched Sprue Like Shep Paine Used To Do Back In 1965!) ;)

The Best Looking LS Spit EVER!

if ever there was a kit that you were building for yourself, this is the one to spend the extra time on and add stuff as you see fit. Truly a remarkable kit from Tamiya!

Hope their P-51D is just as nice. :whistle:

model on Wolf...

Wolf great work sir.I look forward to seeing it soon.I'm in the middle of getting a 70 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4-spd at the moment complete with air grabber hood...1/1 scale at last! If all goes well and the weather co-operates I'll take it for a run down to the Seattle show...should do ok on the hi-way I think...if you need anything else Wolf just drop me a line...cheers

Thanks Dave, that's much appreciated. The one thing I could really use is more time but that's something you're not going to be able to help me with unfortunately. Seein' the Roadrunner would be nice though. What colour is it?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hope their P-51D is just as nice. :whistle:

model on Wolf...

Actually it will be just as nice if not a little better. I have the test shot sprues in my hand as we speak. I'm really glad they started with the "B" first!evil_laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Wolf