Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

Hi Roy,

Sorry about that - my comments were out of line and out of place.

I am glad they have been removed.

So apologies once again.

Fyi, your resin bits arrived this morning and look sweet!

Back to the build...

N

Hi Roy,

Sorry about that - my comments were out of line and out of place.

I am glad they have been removed.

So apologies once again.

Fyi, your resin bits arrived this morning and look sweet!

Back to the build...

N

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Glad you like the parts. More new stuff for the superb Tamiya Spit series coming soon. Maybe some new decals, as well.

Happy modelling. Roy

Jeepers. Amazing stuff Wolf. Your painting is some of the best I've ever seen, and really brings the subject to life, without resorting to heavily stylised approaches. Jealous.

Kev

Thanks again for the compliments Kevin!

Cheers,

Wolf

Absolutely outstanding work!

How do you go about weathering the tires? I can never get an effect I'm happy with no matter what I do with airbrushing, drybrushing, washes, or anything. What's your secret?

Well, judging from my photos, I really don't have a secret! Up close and personal the tires have a lot different look than they do in the pics. I began by spraying them over-all with Tamiya's Nato Black I then sprayed Tamiya's German grey further up the sidewall avoiding the area closest to the actual wheel. I dry-brushed the tread section of the tire with MiG Productions Dark Mud and then finally a light dry-brushing of a dark yellow powder from a Tamiya weathering pallet. I then went back and brushed various shades of greys and browns on to the sidewalls using a very fine brush. Everything was then sealed with a final flat coat which muted the effect nicely but it seems to have muted it too much for the camera.sad.gif

Experimentation with different and contrasting colours is your friend with weathering of any kind and I'm still learnin', believe me!

Cheers,

Wolf

Eh!! I've seen better....

NOT! :party0023:

I know Bill, I know, why do I even try? LOL!!!!

It's all Dave Pratt's fault too. He should never have lent my his Spitfire Engineering bible. Lots of really really nice photos to work from!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Glad you like the parts. More new stuff for the superb Tamiya Spit series coming soon. Maybe some new decals, as well.

Happy modelling. Roy

Hhmmmmm, I'd be interested to know what other resin goodies you have in the works. One thing I wish Tamiya had done was to give you at least two more fuselage frames past the cockpit opening. Ok, maybe just one.

Cheers,

Wolf

The Barracuda resin stuff for this is fantastic. You could do FAR worse. This build is going on my bookmarks! Got the Mk.XVIe here. Review up this weekend.

I agree totally! Roy's stuff moves the level of detail up quite a bit and the separate data stencil decals are a must!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wow, the more I see of this build the more I want to crack open my last example of this kit in my stash!

Great stuff

Thanks Ron! This kit really makes me want to get the Mk VIII as well. I've got to build me a Grey Nurse sometime. Amazing how much a shark mouth looks sooo right on a Spitfire!

Cheers,

Wolf

"It's all Dave Pratt's fault too. He should never have lent my his Spitfire Engineering bible. Lots of really really nice photos to work from!"

Dave was the one guy I would have recommended going to for anything Spitfire-ish.he knows his Spits and has lots of reference.haven't heard from him lately,probably I said sumpin,nuthin new.

Can't wait for "the boys" to see the Merlin you're doing...and they liked the gear legs,he he.

Edited by williamj

Hey Wolf, are you Bill and Dave coming down to Seattle (Renton) next month ?

Oh...Spit bits looking nice.

:popcorn:

While I can't speak for the other gentlemen, I'd really like to be there myself. I just have to check to make sure I have no other obligations and I can get the day off from work (read as: can afford to take the day off?). If all the stars align, I'll be there. I won't have much to bring but the little Spit will most likely be on the table. It would be nice to meet up again!

Cheers,

Wolf

"gentlemen"?? Well you can't be talkin bout me.. Can't say for sure I'll be there this year,my wife has "plans" for a trip early April,we'll see how it goes.

Can't speak for Dave.He has been busy with a classic muscle car.and hasn't been modeling much ..so ??.

cheers.