Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

excellent stuff mate!

a quick question - I assume the rivet decals have some sort of raised detail aspect to them? As though they were little pieces of etched brass?

The rivet decals are indeed 3 dimensional. They're tiny dots of resin covered by a carrier film and apply like any other decal. The carrier film is very thin and disappears with the application of Micro-Sol.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

This build is so spectacular. It is exactly what I want my models to be, except I always seem to lack the patience and ability to pull it off. Gorgeous work!

Thanks Bryan! When you build as slowly as I do, it's almost like I take each piece and treat it as a model within a model, you develop patience commensurate with the pace at which you build. Most people have this kit done in a matter of weeks, this might be the only kit I've started and complete this year. That of course means I'll be 327 years old by the time I get through my stash! LOL!!!

Cheers,

Wolf

The rivet decals are indeed 3 dimensional. They're tiny dots of resin covered by a carrier film and apply like any other decal. The carrier film is very thin and disappears with the application of Micro-Sol.

Cheers,

Wolf

haha no way

must get some of those!

Finally got the port side gun heater duct done. No photos to go by on this one, just the drawings so I hope I got it right. This one differed quite a bit from the stbd side as it extended past the oil cooler rad core. Again, it's not been glued in to place in the last pic. That'll happen when the underside of the airframe has been painted.

Cheers,

Wolf

Port-duct-2.jpg

Port-side-duct.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Real nice wolf, I wonder why the ducts were left out of the kit??? were they on all Spits?

Regards

Richard

I'm not sure if the configuration was the same on all variants of the Spitfire but one way or another the Spitfire, armed with guns needed to have heat ducted to the guns. They were probably left out of the kit as Tamiya probably didn't have a Spitfire with gun heater ducts to use as reference. that's my guess anyways.

Cheers,

Wolf

Ok, not so much an update but a "heads up". This time it's about a detail that Tamiya HAS provided but makes no mention of in their instructions! After having applied the base coat of Medium Sea Grey to the underside of the model I started thinking about the installation of the slipper tank. I began looking through the Monforton bible on the Spitfire and realized that there were hooks and mounting lugs attached to the fuselage associated with the use of the slipper tank. The hooks to the rear of the slipper tank prevented the tank, when released, from sliding back along the bottom of the fuselage damaging it in the process. The tank would catch on the hooks and the hooks deflected the tank away from the aircraft. Tamiya provide the hooks, part #AA1, but make absolutely no mention of them. Weird eh? There are flashed over holes on the lower wing section that you need to open to add the hooks but because they're not mentioned in the instructions I didn't. Luckily the pictures and drawings in the Monforton book show where the hooks should go and I got real lucky and guesstimated correctly where the holes should be drilled. I started with a # 80 drill bit and worked up to a #68 to get the holes to the right size. The accompanying pics should tell the rest of the story. I'll also scratch-build the forward attachment lugs for the slipper tank and the lugs will locate in the holes Tamiya has provided for the steel pins to go in to that attach the slipper tank to the fuselage. I'm not going to display my model with the tank in place but the hooks and lugs should be there nonetheless. Hopefully this information will be found useful for those that will or already have built this amazing kit.

Cheers,

Wolf

slipper-tank-1.jpg

slipper-tank-2.jpg

slipper-tank-3.jpg

Brilliant work on this so far Wolf...love the "ducks" :clap2: ..used a couple of elbow pieces for mine ,made by KD Industries, just need a couple rivets added...ha ha.

Ok..lets see some paint on this for God's sake. no pressure :coolio:

Edited by williamj