Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

I was looking at these posts on the last few pages of the thread, and everyone was talking about something incredible. Once I went backwards, and ran into the pictures of your Spitfire in progress, my jaw simply dropped. And I truly mean that. I have never seen anything so crisp, clean, detailed and breath-taking in artistic marvel :bow:

Amazing work, will be following really closely!

Tudor

Hey Wolf...how's "Our" Spitfire coming along??

Some of us need a fix. :blink:

Hi Bill, right now it's been a struggle to find bench time. I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. I've managed a little bit of work but I'm having difficulty scratch- building the fuel priming lines on top of each intake manifold. I also have to scratch-build the water inlet connections from the coolant header tank to the cylinder heads and the coolant pipe flange on the supercharger for the coolant return pipe for the inter-cooler. Fun stuff huh? I just need to find the time...............BANGHEAD2.jpg Bear with me, it'll come!

Cheers,

Wolf

I was looking at these posts on the last few pages of the thread, and everyone was talking about something incredible. Once I went backwards, and ran into the pictures of your Spitfire in progress, my jaw simply dropped. And I truly mean that. I have never seen anything so crisp, clean, detailed and breath-taking in artistic marvel :bow:

Amazing work, will be following really closely!

Tudor

Tudor, thank-you! Kind words indeed! There's a lot of fellas on this forum producing some truly fantastic builds and I use them as inspiration and I could use all that I can get right now! This project has slowed down somewhat but I'm determined not to get sidetracked on another build and that's tough. I have an Albatros that keeps calling to me! Stop it, stop it stop it!frantic.gifLOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Wolf

• 3 months later...

Finally, after an extended time away from the work bench, you know, summer, family, work, etc., I've managed to get back to the Spitfire. This short update shows the really small and very finely detailed resin canopy latch from BarracudaCast. How Roy manages to make this stuff is certainly a mystery of almost biblical proportions! After cleaning away most of the moulding block from around the latch but leaving it attached at it's base I drilled holes in the "wings" to accept fine copper wire for the "pull cable" The wire was threaded through and secured with thin ca. The sleeve that goes over the cable was built up from white glue (I'd use epoxy next time). Once the white glue had fully dried I painted the whole assembly with a 50/50 mix of Citadel Boltgun Grey and Chainmail well thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner. I carefully opened the gap between the two arms of both front and rear catches using a fine drill bit and a sharp new #11 blade. This has to be done (if you're going to do it at all) very carefully as it's easy to break the assembly. I managed to crack one side but thin ca repaired it but that was a real close call. Luckily Roy gives you two latch assemblies for people like me who have to push their luck with this teeny stuff. Finally the whole assembly was given a black wash to show off the fine detail and the sleeve over the cable was painted flat black. The latch assembly was then cut from it's remaining moulding block with a photo-etch razor saw and then glued to the inside canopy frame with white glue (Micro Kristal Kleer). The red ball for the emergency canopy release was built up from 2 part 5 minute epoxy over a thin piece of copper wire. A small hole was drilled in to the canopy frame to accept the wire end and this was secured with white glue as well. Any shiny evidence of the dried white glue was touched up with clear acrylic flat paint. A small silver rivet decal finished off the red ball to represent the fastener that secured the ball to the emergency release cables. Jeeezzz I hope this all makes sense. I'll let the accompanying photos tell the rest of the story.

Cheers,

Wolf

Canopy1.jpg

Canopy2.jpg

Canopy3.jpg

Canopy4.jpg

Wolf You are the master here! :speak_cool: Your detaling is so fantastic that it make me speechles. :goodjob: Your fotografs are so chrisp and cleare, great to wach! Love your painting and wethering skeels. :clap2:

Edited by Marek

Wolf You are the master here! :speak_cool: Your detaling is so fantastic that it make me speechles. :goodjob: Your fotografs are so chrisp and cleare, great to wach! Love your painting and wethering skeels. :clap2:

High praise indeed Sir! blush.gif Thank-you very much Marek.

Cheers,

Wolf

Always nice to see some one detail the inside of the canopy. This area is so often overlooked on largescale builds. You really went all out on the release handle and it really shows!

J

Thank-you Jerry! All praise goes to Roy for makin' the teeny latch mechanism. The Tamiya kit just oozes detail anyways and not adding the latch assembly would make the sliding canopy (dare I say it?) look somewhat naked! Coming from you and seeing the work you do, I take you comment as quite a compliment.blush.gif

Cheers,

Wolf

Some really nice detailing. Always appreciate the extra work and effort tat goes into them.

Peter

It's definitely a labour of love Peter and this kit deserves it. While the Spitfire is not my all time favourite prop driven aircraft, it's near the top of the list. The one at the top of the list is on it's way to me as we speak. A hint, it's got a humungous big 5 bladed windmill hangin' out the end of a big round cowl!biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Wolf