Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

The frame work is just awesome. Glad your back at it....Harv :speak_cool:

Thanks Harvey! I really screwed up somehow though as this pic belongs to the other post below. Somehow I managed to post this pic and then duplicate it with the rest of the pics in my next postdoh.gif Technology and I sometimes don't dance together too well, LOL

An experiment. The exhaust pipes on this kit are a real pain in the you know what to clean up of mould seams, not to mention it's a rather tedious job. Earlier tonight I started searching for some Quickboost replacements but then I started thinkin' "hey what kind of an assembler am I?" So I decided to work with the kit bits instead. Once I had the first couple of pipes cleaned up I wanted to add the weld beads on the exhaust but as I had thinned them so much, sprue and glue wasn't going to be an option. Instead I dug out my set of Archer Fine Transfer weld bead detail which apply like decals and this is the end result. The exhaust was painted with MM Burnt Metal Metallizer, given a dark brown wash and then burnished with dark brown, red-brown, Ivory, and black pastel chalk. The one exhaust is left unpainted to show what the Archer Fine Transfer weld bead detail looks like before painting. What do y'all think? Look OK or am I barkin' up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Wolf

Exhaust.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Wolf,

Since you asked, personally, I think it looks more like a zipper than a weld bead, but I think that is because those are supposed to represent the very heavy weld beads on tanks and such, rather than the mostly straight and much finer weld bead on the aircraft exhaust (see pic below):

0_fs.jpg

I would think a man of your talents could easily replicate the right look with some fine stretched sprue and liquid cement :)

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN

Wolf,

Since you asked, personally, I think it looks more like a zipper than a weld bead, but I think that is because those are supposed to represent the very heavy weld beads on tanks and such, rather than the mostly straight and much finer weld bead on the aircraft exhaust (see pic below):

0_fs.jpg

I would think a man of your talents could easily replicate the right look with some fine stretched sprue and liquid cement :)

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks Doug. Fine stretched sprue and a little bit 'o' glue was what I was originally going to do but to give the exhaust a more scale look I've thinned them to the point where you can see a lot of light through them. Glue would actually damage the exhaust pipes now so that method is out! I thought the weld bead decal was a reasonable option. Thanks for the input!

Cheers,

Wolf

Archer weld beads are ok ,you have to find the right size. Here is a Jumo 213 from a D 9 and the 1/24 kit with Archer #17 weld beads.

jumoexhaust.jpg

mark8.jpg

One thing to remember is this is prior to tig/mig and these would be gas welded by different guys at different times etc. There would be variables .

I think the exhaust as done on your kit are great ,more textures the better.

Edited by krow113

Please don't be offended but you did ask. In my humblest of opinions, I agree with Doug. I believe you've may have made a make work project out of something that is fine out of box. All I did with my exhaust on my Tamiya Mk IX Spit is paint and weather them. They seem scale in wall thickness and have a nice weld bead. Here is a pic.

P2180004.jpg

Please don't be offended but you did ask. In my humblest of opinions, I agree with Doug. I believe you've may have made a make work project out of something that is fine out of box. All I did with my exhaust on my Tamiya Mk IX Spit is paint and weather them. They seem scale in wall thickness and have a nice weld bead. Here is a pic.

P2180004.jpg

Hey Ron! No offence taken and I did ask! I've got all the photos of the exhaust that have been posted so far and I'll admit that my weld beads are heavy than those shown in the pics. I wanted to eliminate the mould seams but in the end I should have just done that on the tips and left the rest as is but there was also the issue of the sprue scar but that was fixable too. Thinning the exhaust was what lead me to go this route. The thinned exhaust does look better and more to scale so in the end, with additional weathering I hope the extra work will add a little more visual interest. I too am beginning to think I've created something of a make work project but I've little choice than to finish what I started now. The end result will have to speak for itself. Thanks for the input!

Cheers,

Wolf

That is a fine piece of realism there with your work and specially the exhausts. Man!!

J

Thanks Jerry! I'm not sure whether I've just created a "make work" project for myself but at this point I'm forging ahead with the exhaust as I've done so far. I think it'll look good when all done. I'll post more pics when I've done them all.

Cheers,

Wolf

Archer weld beads are ok ,you have to find the right size. Here is a Jumo 213 from a D 9 and the 1/24 kit with Archer #17 weld beads.

jumoexhaust.jpg

mark8.jpg

One thing to remember is this is prior to tig/mig and these would be gas welded by different guys at different times etc. There would be variables .

I think the exhaust as done on your kit are great ,more textures the better.

Thank-you Sir! I've used the smallest weld beads I could get from Archer so we'll have to see what the end result looks like. Hopefully it'll be alright.

Cheers,

Wolf