Tamiya 1/32 F-16AM "X-Tiger" - Decals done and start of weathering

Posted (edited)

Hi All

Well, I had some yellow left over from my F-4EJ Kai build and thought there was no better way to use it than get moving on the Belgian Airforce F-16AM X-Tiger build ;) - it is the 50th anniversary of the F-16 After all (and mine too) so building F-16´s all year long seems appropriate.

There are a few amazing  build threads on the Tamiya F-16 kits at the moment so if you want to see how to put this kit together you should have a look at those. I have used most of the great tips and tricks provided in those - In this thread I will just show the paint progress.

I have used quite a number of add-on parts such as the Aires Wheel Bay and Cockpit. PWMP Tail conversion and sensors. Numerous weapons from Reskit and Masking set & Decals from Model Maker Decals.. (same company that brought us the Venom Viper Demo set)

Its a pretty complex masking job with layers of masks sitting on top of each other. This is just asking for paint seeping under the masks and I decided early on I would just accept spending a fair bit of time repairing the damages than trying to prevent them entirely. In my experience it cannot be avoided when using vinyl masks in 3 layers. The underside was especially troublesome having to cut out the areas for the wheel bays. I wish the masking set would have come with separate masks for these parts and corresponding cut-out parts for the open areas left behind.

All in all I am really happy at this stage.. When you unmask a model like this it is wise to remove the masks carefully to be able to re-use them when fixing areas. Especially with highly complex shapes like on the X-Tiger. ;) 

The black shapes are symmetrical on either side so special care and attention has to be taken to make sure they are placed exactly the same. The eye is just drawn to any asymmetrical or out of place lines and they become very obvious.

All paints are MRP in painting order   1.Yellow -> 2.Black -> 3.Grey

The images below are straight after un-masking so there are a lot of smaller issues to fix.

UjSVkF.jpg

wJvnb7.jpg

OuGB67.jpg

tKx0QS.jpg

Xd4klU.jpg

Edited by Zola25

That's quite the paint scheme - well done to this point as it looks like clean-up is fairly minimal considering the complexity you describe with the masks.  

Posted (edited)

Not my most favourite Demo-bird but Your effort is looking just as stunning as it's Danish brother.   ;)

(Don't forget to remove the "beer-can's" from the leading-edge flaps. The Belgium Air Force MLU's didn't have these...)

2021-XTM-X-Tiger-F-16.jpg

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Edited by Shujaa
typo

44 minutes ago, Shujaa said:

Not my most favourite Demo-bird but Your effort is looking just as stunning as it's Danish brother.   ;)

(Don't forget to remove the "beer-can's" from the leading-edge flaps. The Belgium Air Force MLU's didn't have these...)

2021-XTM-X-Tiger-F-16.jpg

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Yeah.. I forgot those :oops:.. more paint repair works

I have done all the paint repairs (and removed the "Beer Cans") I want to do and I have the clear coat on - ready for decals. There are hardly any decals on this plane so that is not going to take long at all.

I have also started the very basic paint work on the loadout - as mentioned in a previous thread I really like the way it looks in the image below 

FrNr4M5XwAAiaeM.jpg:large

So that is what I am going for - The AIM-120´s are from Reskit as is the AN/ALQ-131 - that thing is a little work of art! - The AIM-9X is from Brengun. The centerline pylon as well as the LAU-129´s are from @CruZz Kopecky - also works of art - Notice the the X-Tiger is flying with a single old style LAU-127 on station 2 - Wonder why?

The Sniper Pod is from Eduard. 

MV0Ac1.jpg

4mpsnM.jpg

MESbiR.jpg

tsogn8.jpg

As you can see from the last image the underside was a bit tricky to mask off as each color consisted of two large masks (one for each side) without the cut-out for the main gear bay (or the nose gear for that matter but that is all black). It worked out pretty nice in the end. I simply overlayed the kit gear door part on the mask and basically cut it out myself. 

The CARAPACE sensor under the air intake is included in the conversion kit by PWMP.

I think I pulled off the symmetrical pattern of the black shapes pretty well but if you spot anything please let me know as it is not too late ;)

..Uh - An F-35 just flew by my house pretty low... Noisy thing that airplane

/Niels

• Zola25 changed the title to Tamiya 1/32 F-16AM "X-Tiger" - Paint fixed and clear coat on
Posted (edited)

I finished applying the (few) decals in the set - most of the stencils normally found on F-16´s are not present on this jet so it did not take long. Only real problem was the decal for the refueling receptacle. It was much too big and I had to create a paint mask for that instead. I still have a little bit of paint touch up to do on that..

I also applied the first step of my weathering process. I always apply a wash to enhance all the panel lines and create a dirty look to the airframe. 

For the "Base-layer" I have used my go-to product which is the clay-based washes from Flory Models. As the name suggests it is basically mud-in-a-jar.

It is super easy to work with and with a range of colors available, I am able to create all degrees of dirty looks I feel like. For this I have used (and use mostly) "Dark Dirt". For the black areas I have used a mix of Grey and White. 

Its pretty clear to see the big difference this step makes and it really helps create contrast.

9q5pek.jpgdaVpPF.jpg

QLMtML.jpg

Thanks for looking

Niels

Edited by Zola25

• Zola25 changed the title to Tamiya 1/32 F-16AM "X-Tiger" - Decals done and start of weathering