Tally Ho on the target....5/12/2017 Everything done but the prop

Collin

Collin,

Most impressive for sure. The wear and tear on the invasion stripes really adds that something extra.

The weekend here is finally going to get into the 80s, so it's car detailing time, watching the weekend ballgames in the Florida room, finally putting the BQ outside for the season,  and a lot less modeling, but I'll still get a little bench time in.

Joel

Weathering Part 1 I suppose:

Decided on a close to neutral wash, used a deep grey to add some life to the panel lines and rivets, but nothing stark like dark grey or black. I want to see it....but not see it, if that makes any sense. So this went on pretty easy over the entire model (acrylic satin coat under to protect the finish). Will let that dry for a day and then do another light coat of acrylic. Think I will then try my hand (very carefully) with some light oil weathering around the wing ammo bays and the high traffic areas (dirty brownish oil) and some fluid and darker (toward black) oils on hinge points and mechanical areas. Ultimately once that is finished and sealed...there will be a light airbrushing of exhaust and coats of weathering on high traffic areas (again)...and that should do it for weathering. ETA...well probably next week since I have to go away and play Navy this weekend.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7929.jpg

DSCN7914.jpg

DSCN7922.jpg

DSCN7921.jpg

DSCN7923.jpg

DSCN7926.jpg

DSCN7927.jpg

And I still have that used but not seriously abused NMF that I am looking for, the look of the Alum skin of the P-38/47/51 is very elusive.

DSCN7931.jpg

Sat down this morning and tried my hand at some oil paint "rendering" to impart some grime and wear to some areas. Mainly in the wing root area and around the gun panel area where foot and hand traffic would be by ground crew. Only did the top of one wing and the forward port side, now taking a step back and gauging how well it looks.

And of course Photobucket is screwed up this morning, so I can't upload any photos. Maybe later tonight after work.

Cheers

Collin

Second stage of weathering done. My first attempt at oil weathering (over an acrylic semi-matt/gloss finish). Was easier to control than expected. I used a sepia color for most of it. Wanted to show a moderate amount of weathering in the wing root and in the high traffic areas thinking of a mid-June/July aircraft being serviced multiple times a day and set back out on missions. Do I think it's a little heavy in a few places....might be, still learning the technique. Overall pretty happy. Now I will add a few streaks here and there with diluted colors for the exhaust, a small amount of gun stains and some other random areas. Might actually shoot some AK Filter colors in some of the high wear areas to impart a dusty look on top (worked well on my Typhoon build I did last year on this site).

Oil weathering....give it a try, it's not as scary as I thought and if you don't like it....wipe it right off and start over!!

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7948.jpg

DSCN7947.jpg

DSCN7946.jpg

DSCN7944.jpg

DSCN7942.jpg

DSCN7941.jpg

DSCN7940.jpg

DSCN7938.jpg

Still experimenting....didn't completely like the weathering, so I pulled out my steel wool/tweezer combo and a needle and etched in some scratches to show the effects of contact with the dirt over aluminum skin and what that looks like (at least to my eye). I think the weathering looks better now. It was real easy and I just lightly scrapped the areas and this is the result. I had covered the aircraft with a thin coat of acrylic semi-gloss prior to this so I could handle it.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7955.jpg

DSCN7954.jpg

DSCN7954_1.jpg

DSCN7953_1.jpg

DSCN7951_1.jpg

DSCN7950.jpg