Tally Ho on the target....5/12/2017 Everything done but the prop

Collin

Awesome morning. Beautiful 6-mile run on the Washington DC National Mall (never get sick of running that route) and painting some ID stripes/numbers/letters and black nose. Getting a tad of NMF lifting of the top coat with "de-tacked" tape. I will touch that all up after the invasion stripes are on and I need to seal the kit up for decals.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7867.jpg

DSCN7863.jpg

Collin,

The masking for the strips and numbers look dead on perfect.  I'm surprised that you're having any kind of lifting issues with detaced Tamiya tape. Is is the  AK paint or the buffing past that's lifting?

Joel

Grabbed a cup of coffee and worked on my wing invasion stripes this morning. I like to knock this out in one sitting to keep the masking on the NMF to the shortest time possible, you never know.

Figured I would show you how I do my stripes. I don't believe in perfect or pretty invasion stripes. They were thrown on the days before the invasion so perfect was not in the specification. I come close....but not exact.

I measure the farthest border of the entire invasion stripe area then lay down my first mask. I make a masking tape template for the width of each black/white stripe. Then I shoot the area flat black.

DSCN7869.jpg

DSCN7870.jpg

Then I hit the black with a blow dryer to quicken the drying time and mark out the borders of what is to remain black, then mask that up. I don't really worry too much about lifting the black paint (adds realism and I haven't even started weathering yet). I do de-tack my masking on my pant leg before putting it on the model.

DSCN7872.jpg

After marking what will remain black, I shoot enamel white in sort-of a black basing method (which is popular now).

DSCN7873.jpg

DSCN7874.jpg

After removing the mask:

DSCN7877.jpg

DSCN7875.jpg

DSCN7878.jpg

DSCN7880.jpg

Now it's time for another cup of coffee, grab the fly rod and head out to see if anything will bite.

Cheers

Collin

First....No fish were biting today, but any day you are outside throwing a fly, just enjoy it.

Got the itch and went back to the bench, finished up the fuselage invasion stripes, and the OD glare shield. I used a national insignia mask for the fuselage stars and bars so that no white/lack demarcation line will show through the decal. Went back and touched up some of the black that pulled away from the NMF...so now she sits getting a rest while I don't press my luck and step away from the bench.

DSCN7887.jpg

DSCN7886.jpg

DSCN7885.jpg

DSCN7884.jpg

DSCN7883.jpg

Anyone else have a messy bench at the end of the day?

DSCN7888.jpg

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

I'm exhausted just following your day. The 6 mile run would have "killed" me for sure. The best I use to be able to do is jog/power walk 2 1/2 miles, 6 days per week up until almost 2 years ago, then just fell out of the routine, and it shows, believe me it shows. Then quality time at the bench, then fly fish for a few hours, then back to the bench. When I fished is was freshwater bass fishing for a min of 8 hrs per trip plus 3 hours of travel time, so I never did anything else that day as I was just to beat. And I bet you're not even that tired :frantic:

As for the invasion stripes, they came out perfect. The black basing of the white stripes is not only ingenious, but looks exactly like what black basing accomplishes, and that's color modulation.  I always start with a clean workbench, but it never ends up that way. I do force myself to clean up right then and there, or it just never gets done.

Joel 

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks for showing how you do your invasion stripes, it will come in useful on a build I have in progress.

Your build looks great and I love the finish you are getting. I did no running, fishing or other outdoor activity, started and finished with a messy bench and managed to stick two parts together over the weekend. You are lightning to my glacier.