Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

So the Mirage is finished. I would have had it finished earlier, but I went flying with Sean as part of his efforts in `Red Thunder', a gathering of Nanchang's and Yak's in simulated combat exercises here in Queensland. I must say that although I have thousands of hours of flying under my belt, this has to be up there as one of the most memorable times I have been in an aircraft. To be involved in the briefing, and also to be an extra set of eyes whilst he flew CAP, basically spotting waves of other aircraft coming through on attacks really got the blood pumping. We pulled a few G's and had a great time. A very welcome diversion from the bench and a great day out with the family!

The mass briefing.

IMG_6579_zpsqjcuxrit.jpg

On the briefing board as Sean's back seater, I wasn't worthy!

IMG_6580_zpsttgtvjkr.jpg

The young fella, waving goodbye to us. Maybe a dream starts here?

IMG_6569_zps4shwstov.jpg

My view, that and trying to spot other aircraft.

IMG_6590_zpssvrnzsx3.jpg

Our wingman coming into formation

IMG_6592_zpsx4ngzkpn.jpg

Sean's Nanchang `Madam Chang'

IMG_6596_zpsr4hicbhx.jpg

A most memorable day out.

IMG_6597_zpsp5tjric6.jpg

Onto the final part of the build.

I primed the seat and painted it. 

IMG_6611_zpsdxdecer2.jpg

IMG_6622_zpsbmcmbst3.jpg

The `just finished' shot. I will have some studio photos very soon. It will be packed into a box in the next couple of days to appear at the Australian Model Expo in Melbourne. Sean will be attending the event on Monday, so if you are there come up say hello!

IMG_6629_zpslgka4aul.jpg

Thanks very much for the nice comments guys. I was going to take some studio photos of it tonight but we cant find my battery charger for my camera!

I did however manage to get some photos of my WIP for the supporting base and thought I would share the process here. I do get asked about how I do this quite often and it is very easy and a fun, creative way to fill in a few hours.

I had a trophy shop print my own design on a piece of thin metal plate. I have left a small gap under the text for Sean to sign, which will be possible when he attends Model Expo next Monday. He gave me an FCI patch which was always going to be a part of the base. The trophy shop also sells the wooden bases.

IMG_6632_zpsblvzlg7c.jpg

Next up was to cut a square from a sheet of 3mm MDF board

IMG_6633_zpshnaslltb.jpg

All of the components arranged

IMG_6635_zpsrehtziwb.jpg

I marked out where the model was going to sit and drew a center line.

IMG_6636_zpsuxjgkhae.jpg

I cut up 5 inch squares of 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper and placed them over the MDF

IMG_6637_zpstqhdt2iv.jpg

I then drew another line offset to the center line, and sprayed the MDF and sandpaper squares with contact adhesive.

IMG_6638_zpskcxgr35f.jpg

Once the contact adhesive is almost dry to touch, I positioned each square of sandpaper leaving a very small gap between each one. Once all the sheets are in place, the board is flipped over and the paper is trimmed.

IMG_6639_zpsr850wm1p.jpg

Here is the `blank canvas' ready for painting.

IMG_6640_zpshnt9sqpd.jpg

The board is then primed using Tamiya fine surface primer before given a coat of Tamiya Dark sea grey.

IMG_6641_zps5swrknex.jpg

Once the base coat was dry, I loaded up my airbrush with water and sprayed a nice even coat over the base. I then sprinkled salt over the base and let that dry.

IMG_6643_zps6rqll7oc.jpg

Once the salt was dry, I sprayed a lightened coat of Tamiya deck tan over it, then rubbed off the salt leaving a contrasting grained pattern.

IMG_6645_zpspsajbee5.jpg

I then sprayed the deck tan again, highly thinned, blending in the pattern.

IMG_6646_zps27gnobqj.jpg

A little bit of shading using some grey

IMG_6647_zpspyuk3qby.jpg

I then made a heavily diluted mix of brown and black oil paint, thinned with white spirit, and used a thick brush to work the mix over the base. I cleaned off the brush after each application to progressively lighten it, leaving a faintly visible brush pattern

IMG_6649_zps8dtsgfjo.jpg

Once this was dry, I then sanded each square with some 800 grit, to give it a very unique weathered grain. You can see that I have sanded only one side to show the difference here.

IMG_6650_zpsqdsqfztr.jpg

I then painted a washed out white line to simulate apron markings. 

IMG_6651_zpsbuyljlqv.jpg

A dark grey paint was then airbrushed in thin lines over each gap.

IMG_6652_zps3kiggynb.jpg

Once all this was dry, I mixed up a dirty mix of raw umber and black oil paint, and flicked it in areas that would be exposed to leaks and general spillage, using a wide brush loaded up with white spirit.

IMG_6653_zpsmvvjal4m.jpg

I then flicked clean white spirit over the base to wash out the previous applied splatter.

IMG_6654_zpsvohat6rs.jpg

The finished base.

IMG_6655_zpse2qgrmnm.jpg

Edited by ericg