Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

silly question time............. what is 'Milo'?  Like Nestle's Quick?

Yeah, same concept (we have that here too). Milo is better though (in the same way that Tim Tams are better than Oreos), and only comes in one flavour (chocolate). In fact, it's made by Nestlé too:

Milo-FI.jpg

Kev

Yeah, same concept (we have that here too). Milo is better though (in the same way that Tim Tams are better than Oreos), and only comes in one flavour (chocolate). In fact, it's made by Nestlé too:

Milo-FI.jpg

Kev

I have never seen it here in Canada, may have to check around maybe when I go to the USA for a car show, I will see if it is available, looks interesting..... I still like a good glass of chocolate milk.... especially when I am perusing awesome model skills like this thread.....

One thing on the kit that i was keen to depict was the Periscope that Lindbergh used to make sure he wasn't going to fly into waves during his ocean crossing. There is no real provision for it in the kit apart from a small square of PE meant to depict it in the closed position. I feel that it is an important part of the aircraft, as the fact that there is no forward windscreen may shock someone who may not be familiar with the type, and could possibly be seeing this aircraft for the first time on a comp table. Closer examination will reveal the small rectangular thing jutting from the side window.

I tried out a few different sizes of brass square tube but none seemed to be right.I settled on cutting up a long thin section of Tamiya PLA paper, and formed 4 pieces of it into the hollow periscope, capping it off with a thicker square of sytrene. 

IMG_5655_zpso0zel3kc.jpg

Once painted, I glued a small piece of Milo tin membrane into it to depict the mirror.

IMG_5662_zps3kseamzj.jpg

test fitted, looks OK.

IMG_5661_zpsihrsz7pf.jpg

A little bit more work.

Most of my time spent on this model has been the surface detail on the fuselage and empennage. Getting this part right has been a bit of a pain to be honest and luckily I havent felt the need to do the same to the wings.....yet!

I have thinned all control surfaces considerably and have also made the rib detail far sharper than how it was provided in the kit. I have almost got the tail and rudder to the way I want it and primed it to check how it was going. Pretty good. As can be seen the horizontal stabilizer and elevators are still a work in progress.

IMG_5711_zpsvvjc48x9.jpg

I fitted the bracing for the compass and have cut out some clear styrene to form the window in the top of the wing.

IMG_5709_zpsojnnunup.jpg

Getting closer!

IMG_5712_zpsb5xyvwzm.jpg

The more I look at your efforts to refine a kit that is not fine anywhere, the more I wonder whether I would not be better off coming back to my initial idea of scratching the NYP completely.

Unless someone can acquire the molds of the Icarus' kit, from the Korean mold company that kept them over a payment dispute :hmmm:

Hubert

• 1 month later...

I am leapfrogging builds at the moment getting both this and my Mirage ready for Model Expo in just over a months time. It was time to consider how I was going to paint the model and also apply the markings. I have been getting progressively more proficient in using my Silhouette mask cutter and have been pushing it harder to cut smaller masks, as well as getting into the advanced features of the software. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the software included with the machine as it really seems to be able to cope with what us modelers need from it.

I have been experimenting a bit with taking screenshots of my work with the software, so please bare with me.

I wanted to see how far I could go with the markings of the aircraft as they would be very well suited to spraying them rather than using the included decals. This feature of the mask cutter couldn't be more suited to our hobby and it makes me rather excited to be able to do it. First things first. I scanned the decal sheet at high resolution (using the scanner in my other mancave)

Once I had the decals scanned as a JPG, it was a simple matter to open the image into a new project in Silhouette Studio. It is as easy as clicking File, Open and then selecting the image from wherever it is stored. You can then resize the image to fit the screen. There is no need to size it to the exact size required as this will come later.

IMG_6255_zpsr94rdtg6.jpg

The decal sheet as a JPG imported in to the software and opened up into a new project.

Capture1_zpsqunlcxbm.jpg

Using the Trace feature, select the area that is required to be cut. There are a few different setting that can be tweaked to capture the edges as well as a few settings that can determine the way in which the software traces the image.

Capture_zpspenry8aa.jpg

Once the image has been traced, it can be moved aside, leaving the thin red lines that the software has drawn.By double clicking on each element of the design, the `points' that the computer used to draw the shape can be seen. There is quite a few odd ones there that aren't needed as per the image below and in the case of fairly simple lettering, can be deleted to make the element simpler. 

Capture2_zpstwcutuyc.jpg

Now that we have the markings in the program I made a quick comparison the the real aircraft where some differences can be seen.

IMG_6258_zpsidpgrr1v.jpg

By clicking on the element that needs to be changed, the points become visible. As can be seen, I have simplified it from the picture earlier.

DD471A82-4A7A-4289-BC20-DD439CE66C99_zps

It is now very easy to manipulate the element as needed. As can be seen I have started to match it more closely to the picture.

D99A2E9A-9DD8-4DA3-8F43-2D687B068646_zps

Now to size the marking. Using a feature on the real aircraft that was near or under the markings, in this case the aileron, I measured it on the model. 

819E8BC7-0AA8-4C1D-9FB4-408BD7AB9118_zps

I drew a straight line that was approx 52.80 mm long. Holding down the shift key when drawing a straight line will align it with horizontal or vertical. Using the scale function, the exact measurement can be typed, rather than the tricky point and click method. This was then placed under the corresponding area of the marking on the screen which was then dragged down to the appropriate size.

D9A4CFC0-C90E-4008-8FE8-623EE402A717_zps

Once I was happy with the size, I cut the mask. This one is just for sizing and fit and will not be sprayed (the model is still in primer at this stage). I also made a very small cut out for the control horn.

IMG_6275_zpsiwzchbuz.jpg

Edited by ericg

Eric,

Your timing on your little tutorial could not be better.......... my cutter turned up in the mail today! Good stuff mate, thanks for posting. The Spirit looks great too..... hard to fathom how he managed to fly without forward vision.

Cheers,

Craig

Eric,

Simply a better way to put on basic markings. I just might look into one myself. The process does indeed seem simpler then I thought, and even I might be able to learn how to use one.

Joel

Excellent as always.

Quick question as my brain a bit fuzzy tonight.

Any tricks in getting your scanned picture exactly lined up and straight / registarted to the grid?

You gotta believe I think this is so cool :D

Hi Dan,

No tricks at all, this is just the way it was scanned in. If you need to rotate it at all then by clicking on the picture you will be able to resize it by clicking and dragging it as well as rotate it by clicking on the small green circle.

Eric

Edited by ericg