Next WNW

Dave Williams

I think there is definitely some merit to that. However, I also think it might be difficult to replicate that corrugated surface when joining wings/fuselage. Im not even sure of the best way to do it.

Well, the period pics posted on the D-1 page on WnW's site show that striving for perfect joints is actually NOT striving for absolute scale accuracy ;) ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Well, the period pics posted on the D-1 page on WnW's site show that striving for perfect joints is actually NOT striving for absolute scale accuracy ;) ...

Hubert

I can buy that, especially with the agricultural nature of things back then. However, Id say with my style of building there would be a significant and very visible sections of the fuse and wings where that corrugated surface would be completely non-existent and would look pretty unrealistic I would think.  

Much hate for this choice....

Personally, I think it's a bloody brilliant choice!

Hate isn't the word that comes to my mind when seeing this sort of airplanes. I find them just to un-interesting to mention. They didn't have any great influence on the aviation history list, with only 12 ordered at the end of the war. So in my opinion WNW made a strange decision to chose this subject keeping in mind that there are more important W.W.1 fighter planes that are worth to put forward against this one.

For me, it's ugly, strange looking and totally un-interesting so i leave it like it is.

Regards

Danny 

I feel we as a group provided more hype (excitement) for ourselves than WNW. The company always has some sort of 'coming soon' type of place holder on their site. The anticipation is a big fun part of the hobby and being part of the group for me at least. Ernie's comment about the D-1 and innovation of the times made me think that WNW has a good sense of the history of the evolution of WWI era aircraft design. We should weight this a bit more during our ( Marketing-like) guessing game and beyond historical aviation encounters.

Rick

Don't necessarily agree with that.

They teased this release more heavily than any other I recall, even going so far as to pre-tease the tease, announcing not the date of the release, but the date of the announcement of the release!  

All that for a small, simple, $79 kit that is an obscure historical footnote of an aircraft?

In my poll thread asking what people thought might be released, someone early on suggested it would be a Fokker Dr.1 (finally) and it would all make sense as in April we will see the 100th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen.

Other than Archduke Ferdinand and possibly a few others, I would suggest von Richthofen is the single most commonly mentioned name associated with all of WWI, let alone the aerial combat portion of WWI.

THAT makes sense as a release to be teased to high heaven, especially given the 100th anniversary angle...

I am still holding out hope that WNW DOES intend to do something like this, perhaps with a sneak release of a DR.I on the date of von Richthofen's death.  

Who knows what they might do.  I find the way they release kits to be a lot of fun.  You never know what you are going to get, or when! 

Personally, I think it's a bloody brilliant choice!

This kit will bring new guys into our safe, snobbish little niche in the hobby....

C'mon you jet jocks, let's build!!!

With the previous talk about hot-rods and What ifs, you've given me an idea... Top Gun 3, the prequel, in which Pete "Maverick" Mitchell's grandfather takes on the Generals and falls in love with Clara Bow...

I guess I'm happy for those who really like this sort of thing, but a mainstream injection molded kit of a historical footnote (at the very best)? There were 41 built, including the prototypes. Odd.

I know, right?  I mean, WingNut Wings doesn't even have a Me 109G in their lineup yet.  Sheesh!

Well said Dan, if someone wants to produce a WNW standard (insert subject of choice) there's nothing stopping them, and if WNW want to produce (insert subject of choice) who's to criticise, it's a free world, no..?

It's an interesting subject in the development of aviation -

just like the Ho 229 - I'm looking forward to getting one.

Don't necessarily agree with that.

They teased this release more heavily than any other I recall, even going so far as to pre-tease the tease, announcing not the date of the release, but the date of the announcement of the release!  

All that for a small, simple, $79 kit that is an obscure historical footnote of an aircraft?

In my poll thread asking what people thought might be released, someone early on suggested it would be a Fokker Dr.1 (finally) and it would all make sense as in April we will see the 100th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen.

Other than Archduke Ferdinand and possibly a few others, I would suggest von Richthofen is the single most commonly mentioned name associated with all of WWI, let alone the aerial combat portion of WWI.

THAT makes sense as a release to be teased to high heaven, especially given the 100th anniversary angle...

I am still holding out hope that WNW DOES intend to do something like this, perhaps with a sneak release of a DR.I on the date of von Richthofen's death.  

Who knows what they might do.  I find the way they release kits to be a lot of fun.  You never know what you are going to get, or when! 

Totally agree with that. They teased us and at the end it's a real bummer. Sad to see that two times in a row they brought something out that was not really significant for that time. The Fokker DR.I would be a far more better choice, even as the Nieuport and Spad fighters. I still can't believe that Peter Jackson pop's such tiny un-important subjects above great wel-know fighters, to me it feel's like it's almost a bad joke :mental:  :mental:

At least we still have the KH F-5 fighters to look forward :m0152:

I still can see why they did it, as it seems like an esoteric choice to me too, but its Sir Peters company, and he obviously likes the airframe, significant or not.  

Im still holding on to the notion that someday Ill be able to do a WnW version of Guynemer's Spad VII/VIII.  

C'est dommage!    Peut-être un jour 

Totally agree with that. They teased us and at the end it's a real bummer. Sad to see that two times in a row they brought something out that was not really significant for that time. The Fokker DR.I would be a far more better choice, even as the Nieuport and Spad fighters. I still can't believe that Peter Jackson pop's such tiny un-important subjects above great wel-know fighters, to me it feel's like it's almost a bad joke

It might be a bummer for you but there are plenty of us who like the subject choice, no-one is forcing you to buy it and, frankly, all the 'I want a Dr.I' chatter is getting rather tired.

So there were only 48 examples of the Junkers D.I built? Well, so what? There were only ever 320 Fokker Dr.I's built, and if it were not for MvR's association with it (which was brief - just 19 of his 80 kills were in one, and he only flew the type for about six months), it too would be classed as a rather un-important and not paticularly successful aircraft.

It all comes down to personal choice boys. To some the DR.1 would be a disappointment, to others like myself the D.1 is a disappointment.

No one's opinion (and they are all just that) is more important than anyone else's. Everyone has the right to want what they want and state as such.

Likeability, and popularity (which I have to say for the most part are with the DR.1) don't necessarily go hand in hand with success nor production numbers.

It might be a bummer for you but there are plenty of us who like the subject choice, no-one is forcing you to buy it and, frankly, all the 'I want a Dr.I' chatter is getting rather tired.

Indeed, it's a real bummer to me, and yes that's personal. I have no problem that people like the subject, if they want to spent their money to it, it's their choice, respect for that. Second, it's not about the DR.I, i just gave an example, to be honest, i rather like to see a Spad or Nieuport pop's out instead of a DR.I. 

So, if you tired of the chit chat about "I want".......please feel free to leave the discussion or don't read it, nobody's forces you to read the topic post's.  :whistle: