Looks like AIMS is back in operation. 2 Ju-88 conversion set coming

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I wish he still had the Ju88G-6 conversion available.  I have a Ju88A-1 kit I got for a really good price and would love a Ju88 night fighter.

At this stage he makes the elaborate conversions to order (i.e.; the G-6, 188)  Email him or message him to find out what he offers. 

12 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

To put it into perspective, the Ju-88 was basically Germany's version of the American B-25 Mitchell. Medium in size, fast and maneuverable, tough as nails, and very highly regarded by their crews. Also, it was adapted to every role that Germany asked it to do; bomber, day fighter, night fighter, torpedo bomber, tank destroyer, recon, even flying bomb, and so many others. There was little it couldn't do.

The only game in town in 1/32 was the A-1 and the A-4, two of the earliest variants, and only bombers, of the famed aircraft. The AIMS conversions from Pastor John allow the modeler, with little effort, to begin to build many of the other variants of the aircraft, including some of the more obscure ones we'd never see in straight-up injection mold. If you want to wrap your head around just how vast this aircraft was, take a look at the different variants here, which doesn't even include the spin-offs, like the Ju-188:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88#Variants

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Excellent summary. I had no idea it was that versatile. After looking around, I’m now obsessed with building a night fighter variant with radar. 

6 hours ago, Cycling Guy said:

Excellent summary. I had no idea it was that versatile. After looking around, I’m now obsessed with building a night fighter variant with radar. 

Right? They are impressive aircraft. One of Germany's finest from the war. And the night fighter was a particularly effective beast against RAF heavy bombers. The crews responsible for night missions really enjoyed them in this role. Roomy inside, and very easy to fit equipment into, like radar and whatnot. Also, that big greenhouse canopy gave them great visibility when hunting bombers.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

3 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Right? They are impressive aircraft. One of Germany's finest from the war. And the night fighter was a particularly effective beast against RAF heavy bombers. The crews responsible for night missions really enjoyed them in this role. Roomy inside, and very easy to fit equipment into, like radar and whatnot. Also, that big greenhouse canopy gave them great visibility when hunting bombers.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Again, thank you for the excellent insight. I recently watched the documentary Night Bombers and the narrator described the German night fighters as absolutely terrifying. Ever since then I’ve been fascinated by this aspect of the air war. 

I plan on building the Ju-88C-6 or G-1 when Pastor John heals up and I can get a hold of all the appropriate AM. Can you recommend any books / resources for the aircraft? I have Die Deutsche Luftwaffe - Eine Bilddokumentation der Luftwaffe von 1935 - 1945 Volumes 1 and 3. 

Feel free to message me as to not clog the thread. 

Edited by Cycling Guy

9 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Hopefully not enjoyed. War is a terrible business. Even for the intruders from 100 Group flying Mossies who frequently turned their deadly Ju 88 and He 219 opposition into flamers over Denmark and Germany. 

I have a fascination for night-fighters and the development of airborne radar, but just can't bring myself to making either of the Junkers I bought: the A-4 bomber aside, the A-1 was intended to be built as a C-2 and I've bought a great deal of stuff over the years for this project, but really need to ditch these kits this year. At least I've crammed both unbuilt kits and accessories into the A-4 box in the attic. 

Sorry to hijack the thread. I do wish Pastor John well and love his RAF cameras set. Thoroughly recommended. 

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...