Airfix 1/24th scale Spitfire MkIX

Hello all of you shiny, happy people. I hope everyone is well.

A little while ago Airfix released a large scale MkIX Spitfire in 1/24th scale. I was lucky enough to be at the launch event and was blown away by the look of the models on display.

I resolved there and then to treat myself to one. I got the kit in December 2023 and began it shortly after unwrapping it on Christmas day. 

The kit is substantial and relatively easy to build although it gets a tad unwieldy due to it's size so care must be taken in the latter stages of the build.

For a kit this size the detail is good. However, there are many aftermarket parts available that improve the look still more.

I opted to enhance the cockpit by scratch building a few elements and treating myself to the beautiful Airscale cockpit upgrade. To my mind this is a must for this model. 

It takes patience to assemble but improves the face of the cockpit no end. 

20230326_194201_2.jpg

The other bits of aftermarket that I'd recommend would be a set of wheels, an entry door and exhausts.

There are a few wheel sets available. The ones I went for were by Eduard

20240204_085102.jpg

The detail is great and the wheels look the part but for some reason the subtle molded in flat spot doesn't sit flat on the ground when they are fitted so some judicious sanding is required. If you choose to use these be aware of this before glueing them in place. 

The door is by Buchon models and is a definite improvement over the somewhat chunky kit part. 

PXL_20240320_194609125_2.jpg

Lastly, one area where Airfix really dropped the ball is the exhaust stubs. What were they thinking? :huh:

For a start these are molded in two parts but not where a seam line falls. If two parts are necessary why not make the join along an actual seam? :hmmm:

Also, there is a huge hole in the underside of each stub that has to be filled. I can't help wondering if the designer was off the day these were created and the janitor had a go.....:whistle:

Fortunately Eduard come to the rescue with a beautiful 3D printed set. 

20230515_201650.jpg

Another must for this build in my humble opinion. 

Airfix include a plethora of markings but for this build I turned to a combination of 1ManArmy masks and some custom masks kindly created for me by Mozart here on LSP. Many thanks Max:thumbsup:

I was hoping that painting the markings would give better results in this scale. All of the masks worked beautifully and the fidelity of the stencils needs to be seen to be believed. 

Add one more to the "must have" list for this build.

The 1ManArmy set replicates the markings offered in the kit but my aircraft depicts an aircraft of 412 RCAF sqdn. This squadron was formed in 1941 at RAF Digby in Lincolnshire which is only a stone's throw from where I live. 

:blah:Thank you for your patience so far. Now after this pre-amble it's on to the RFI photos. 

PXL-20240322-142713948-2_old.jpg

PXL-20240322-140206395-2b_w.jpg

PXL-20240324-093608654-3.jpg

PXL-20240324-094546178-4aged.jpg

PXL-20240324-094859296-4aged.jpg

PXL_20240310_201437257_3.jpg

PXL_20240310_201618744_2.jpg

PXL-20240310-201743051-2.jpg

PXL-20240310-201942944-2.jpg

PXL-20240310-195548496-3.jpg

PXL-20240310-195801741-3.jpg

PXL-20240310-195915391-3.jpg

Setting a couple of hiccups aside (I lost one of the Eduard exhaust stubs:doh:) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

If I were to build another I'd definitely thin the aft lip of the ailerons. I'd also buy a set of turned brass cannons. Getting the two part plastic components round and filled was too much fuss. :lol:

For a kit assembler like me this Airfix product is nigh on perfect. 

Plaudits to them for giving us a very good representation of one of the most popular marques of Spitfire. 

Thanks for your time. I hope you enjoyed this. 

If you'd like a more in depth article please have a look here for the WIP thread. 

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by geedubelyer

What an amazingly accurate model, and the photos are really fantastic, a big pat on the back is well deserved.

If I did not have so many built and unbuilt Spitfire kits I would be tempted by that kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Could be the best looking spit model I have ever seen Guy.  There is something about most spit models where they look like....models.  Don't know why.  Not so this one.  So I guess congratulations to Airfix too?  Well done! 

Congratulations Guy on building a stunningly superb Spitfire, she looks “right” in every respect, something very difficult to achieve in a model. Love the photographs also…..I’d frame one of those for my wall! 

Thanks so much everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the model.

@dennismcc. It's definitely worth considering no matter how many you have already. Maybe if you see a bargain somewhere? ;)

@Pete Fleischmann. Thanks Pete, that means a lot. I am extremely keen to see what you think of the model and to enjoy seeing what it will look like when you've built one. :popcorn:. You've got plenty to be going on with I know but I've got my popcorn ready for when you start. 

@JayW I appreciate your kind comments Jay and I agree that the lion's share of the work has been done by Airfix and their design team. They've managed to capture the look of a Spitfire extremely well. A few optional mild tweaks are all it needs. 

@MikeMaben Thanks Mike, very glad you enjoyed the photos. Attempting to create something realistic is one of my main goals when I begin a build. The larger scales help with that illusion a great deal.

@mozart I couldn't have done it without you my friend. Your masks worked to perfection and allowed my to build a unique subject. Very much appreciated. 

Speaking of masks, in the rush to finish this RFI article I completely forgot to mention the ArtScaleMask set i used on the canopy. 

20231122_201121_2.jpg

These worked wonderfully and I'd add them to the short list of "must have" aftermarket items. 

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Guy

Another masterpiece from Guy!  Just awesome and all the special little details you added really show through.  Again, I really love the paint chipping, because you nailed that realistic look that is so hard to replicate.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks guys. I very much appreciate your generous comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. 

@Stokey Pete, thanks Pete. I am regularly inspired by many others on here who are masters of the art of weathering. Those creations are what I aspire to and attempt to emulate.

@chuck540z3. Hi Chuck, great to see you. Many thanks for your kind words. I'm thrilled to hear that you noticed some of the subtle mods. As you well know these little touches can lift a model sometimes. 

I confess the chipping was fun to do and I got lucky with the end result. 

I used hairspray this time but in fact I could have probably just gone with straight acrylic paint over the Tamiya whizz can undercoat and got a similar result. 

I know you have this model in the queue and I'm itching to see it "kicked up a notch".

@RBrown and @europapete. Haha, thanks guys. You just made my day. 

My ultimate goal is to achieve something akin to the models of Rod Bettencourt who regularly manages to create photos of his models that are virtually indistinguishable from the full sized aircraft.

All the best,

Guy

Guy, as others have said, those photos had me fooled - I thought I was looking at reference pictures of your subject aircraft. There's no higher achievement than that!

You've really nailed it. Having built one of these myself, it's gratifying that you chose to make some similar modifications to the ones I did.