HK Models Bristol Beaufighter?

I've been watching the Fighter Collection Beau in Duxford for a looooong time too. In fact it's Hangar 2 and that distinctive green airframe I always check in on first when I arrive at that hallowed place!

It's my understanding that the restoration stalled as they simply cannot find the engines to power the beast.. which is maybe what the link Iain posted is explaining - (I'm at work, so can't check it out unfortunately.)

I'm guessing that a pair of Bristol Hercules engines aren't just sitting around somewhere. Speculating here, but would it be possible to do replace them with a more common American option - like some of the restored Sea Furies have (a P & W R-2800?)

I don't want to see the Duxford Beaufighter fly. It was a difficult aircraft to fly well and at this stage in history they should be preserved. But, yes, why not fit some Pratt & Whitney engines so that it might taxi around the perimeter at airshows as one of Duxford's special attractions? Or just start-up and run a pair of Bristol Hercules at low revs? 

I hope I'm around and mentis compos when a new 1:32 version emerges. Will be a treat to have one. There's just too much wrong with the Revell, not least of which are the hopeless toylike wheel wells, utterly noddy cockpits and horrible clear parts. I'm aware of the Model Monkey detail sets, but am waiting to see what Aerocraft do — if that's still viable.

Tony 

On 3/20/2024 at 4:31 PM, Iain said:

John,

My post was related to your comment about threads being locked - which I took as a dig at the moderation here?

If I have mis-understood then I can only apologise, but having seen a few snipes about it recently...  :huh:

I absolutely concur over the possibility of a new Beaufighter!

Iain

My bad, sometimes my really awesome sense of humor doesn't translate well on social media / online forums.    I wasn't trying to slag the mods, just trying (and apparently failing miserably) to be witty.     All good at my end, apologies for the snarky response.   

Keep up the good work. 

On 3/19/2024 at 8:03 PM, Palm-tree said:

Even if he set it up in the gift shop the inevitable wishlist would appear.

VERY YES, PLEASE! I've being waiting for a '32nd RAF London Gift Shop for years..... Can it include a figure of me laughing my head off at most of the shop's over-inflated prices?

Cheers. 

Chris. 

1 hour ago, John1 said:

My bad, sometimes my really awesome sense of humor doesn't translate well on social media / online forums.    I wasn't trying to slag the mods, just trying (and apparently failing miserably) to be witty.     All good at my end, apologies for the snarky response.  

Hi John,

Many thanks for replying - much appreciated.

All good.  :)

Iain

3 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

If they decide to do the Beau, I already got a parking spot for it. Right next to my Banff strike wing Mossi ! Come on HK let's get it on!

Great minds think alike.   My Mossie is lonely.  

VGjnbaZ.jpg?1

I mentioned the fascinating colors / markings of Coastal Command Beau's, here a taste of how wild some of those schemes are.    These decals are currently on sale, given the quality and rarity of them once they go OOP, I think I might roll the dice on HK actually offering up this kit and purchase them.   Just in case.....

AOD32010p1 – 404 Sqn Beaufighters – Black Friday & Later pt.1 – 32nd scale Decals 'n Docs (aviaeology.com)

7 hours ago, John1 said:

VGjnbaZ.jpg?1

I mentioned the fascinating colors / markings of Coastal Command Beau's, here a taste of how wild some of those schemes are.    These decals are currently on sale, given the quality and rarity of them once they go OOP, I think I might roll the dice on HK actually offering up this kit and purchase them.   Just in case.....

AOD32010p1 – 404 Sqn Beaufighters – Black Friday & Later pt.1 – 32nd scale Decals 'n Docs (aviaeology.com)

Sounds like a definite plan to me, I think I'll roll that dice too.

8 hours ago, John1 said:

VGjnbaZ.jpg?1

Just ordered now the wait begins, come on HKM!

58 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

I firmly think that an accurate Me 410 should be released after a TFX Beaufighter.

I can dig the way you think. I'd jump on that like a duck on a June bug. Looks as though I 'm gonna need to get some more shelving set up [oh the horror of it all].

4 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Nice looking mossi John1 ! I'm a sucker for Mosquitos. Ever since I first saw 633Squadron way back when I was a kid [ 1964] I had a thing for 'em.

Never was a big fan of them until I read "A Separate Little War" about Coastal Command shipping raids in 1944-45.  Got fascinated with them after that and truly loved building the Tamiya Mossie.   I'll go out on a limb and say that this is kit is the best plastic model aircraft ever made. 

Aviaeology Beau decals just purchased. already decided what my subject will be.  Now to just wait patiently for a year or so in hopes that HK does indeed offer us this long-neglected aircraft.