Revell 1/24 N-1 Starfighter

The Madhatter

thanks fellas :) I laid down the first 2 coats primary colour and its exceeding my expectations so far Needs a wet sand but that'll come soon enough.

I reckon there's one, maybe 2, more updates before I'll call it done. It's not a technical kit by any stretch of the imagination and basic construction is a doddle The longest part about this one has been the adding that missing detailing. Paint might take a week or so - allowing for drying days. Melbourne's going to be an oven over the coming weekend, so good chance for it to cure quickly :)

I am so ready to throw this in the bin.

I had a nice, beautiful paint job on her. Shiny, rich colour and smooth. I let it cure for 5 days straight, then masked it up today, spray some alternate colours and with much excitement, pulled the tape off just now and am ready to cry.

Tamiya masking tape has truly f*&k ed my paint job up.

Its gone from this:

2024-03-08_12-00-27

to this:

20240314_204214

20240314_204211

20240314_204203

I am using all of my will power not to bin it. I am hoping someone has an idea on how I can fix this cluster &#%k?

I've experienced something like this in the past, and in my case, it wasn't tape residue, but the texture of the adhesive on the tape leaving an imprint in the paint itself. This suggests that either the paint was too soft, or some sort of reaction between the paint and the adhesive has occurred. I had no option but to sand the area back and repaint - thankfully it was only a small area, and not the entire model as in your case!

If in your case it is actually tape residue, then you could try either one of the readily-available citrus cleaners (which are really good at removing this kind of thing), or something like WD40. It might be worth testing on a mule first, just to make sure that neither product affects the paint! WD40 is generally good with acrylics and lacquers, but does strip enamel paints. It can also contaminate the surface and make it difficult for subsequent paint layers to stick.

Whatever the problem is, and whatever the solution(s) you choose or try, it's well worth trying to save in my opinion, as it was looking rather spectacular!

Kev

If the paint is not water base try wiping it down with IPA (not beer) max 60% 

If that dosent restore grab some car rubbing compound (i use McGuire's) and give it a buff, followed by polish.  Or Tamiya corse,fine,finish(same concept less agressive) maybe Star with tamiya if you have and if it dosent work go car detailing level. 

If the paint hasn't lifted its definately savable

I honestly thought 5 days, of which 3 were over 30 degrees, would be sufficient. I also thought, maybe I should have clear coated the red first as well before masking. 

Now that I've had a solid nights sleep, I can work out how to fix it. It appears to just be residue but paint has lifted in a couple of spots. I may just strip the whole lot off and start again

I found some citrus cleaner but it didn't work. Also, the tape has actually impressed itself into the paint. So, with that, I have done the only thing possible:

20240315_202434

It's all good though. Version 2.0 will be better, smoother with a chance now to add some slight variation to the black

On 3/14/2024 at 4:46 PM, The Madhatter said:

Alclad candy red. I knew I should've clear coated it first.

Strange. Lacquer paint should have been rock hard after 5 days. And Tamiya tape should not have affected it!

Yeah, the tape really ate into the paint. It was totally my own fault as I knew too have clear coated it first, especially after a similar thing happened on my SF90. I was too impatient. It definitely appears that I am a slow learner. A bit like homer Simpson. Dohhh

Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is the red didn't have enough catalyst in it? It can stay pretty tacky for a long while if it doesn't go off correctly. In a pre-mixed lacquer, though, I am not sure how you would 'add' more. Maybe the paint wasn't stirred enough? Maybe the clear is a little more catalyst heavy?