Hasegawa P-40N

LSP_K2

30 minutes ago, fastterry said:

I was just sorting out my photo collection of P-40s and I noticed that the profile above serial number has a nine at the end and the photo definitely shows an eight. Thought you should know to save embarrassment from eagle eyes in the future.

TRF

Sure enough. Thanks for the info. I just checked, and the Zotz sheet has it as 5009 too. I'll have to see if I can dig up a replacement somewhere.

OK, the RF "E" IP is completely different from the "N" stuff, naturally, including even the gun sight, so I think I'm going to use the kit IP (with decals), and the RF stuff on the remaining areas. The "N" IP is pretty boring and colorless anyway, so this seems to be my best option at the moment. Now if I just had some decent seat belts.

I decided it was time to dust off the ol’ airbrush and do some painting tonight. Here the intakes have received some MM metalizer aluminum and a dark wash on the screens. Unfortunately, I used way too much liquid glue on these parts, ruining two of the three screens, so I’ll either replace with Eduard P.E, or just steal the same parts from my “E” kit and redo, not real sure yet.

GDEHxR.jpg

And the basic ‘pit components now given their base coat of Gunze 351.

riOMUj.jpg

On 3/1/2024 at 4:06 PM, Archimedes said:

Ah, we’ve all done something like that and then realised we need to take a step back! The intake on the P-40 is a particularly interesting affair and it’s not the front that is the bigger challenge but the back :blink:. The shots below  are courtesy of IPMS Stockholm and are of a P-40E so ignore the white tubes on the frontal shot. The last photo is of a P-40N where the tubes are deleted.

Front:

2u3hT0.jpg

Rear

P40-N (note tubes deleted)

Paul

this is the spark plug cooling tube, it also exists on the N, but further back maybe (D up to N these tube are same part number)

Edited by waroff

2 hours ago, waroff said:

this is the spark plug cooling tube, it also exists on the N, but further back maybe (D up to N these tube are same part number)

Thank you for the information! Useful to know. I’ll try to find a shot from the rear of an N to see where they got relocated to.

Kind regards,

Paul