Hasegawa P-40N

LSP_K2

On 4/16/2024 at 8:39 PM, John1 said:

Wonder if they just sprayed OD over the bombs with the clamps in place and the rings are just exposed primer?

Doubtful, as the yellow bands and extensive bomb stenciling was added over the OD. Interesting thought though.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:27 AM, MikeMaben said:

Most P-40s I've seen in color or b/w, that area is the same as the exterior, even if cammo'd.

I've read either is OK. I really have no idea what the reality was.

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've never heard of OD 6.

That is straight off the factory blueprint. I'm not sure if that is a print dated after the official change to OD 613 (which was likely only applied to the last few batches of P-40Ns - if at all) and therefore the last 2 digits were lost somehow, or if that 6 refers to one of the print's notes. 

No matter, though, since that area was either OD or Sand (depending on the camo scheme) from the factory. 

HTH,

D

49 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

That is straight off the factory blueprint. I'm not sure if that is a print dated after the official change to OD 613 (which was likely only applied to the last few batches of P-40Ns - if at all) and therefore the last 2 digits were lost somehow, or if that 6 refers to one of the print's notes. 

No matter, though, since that area was either OD or Sand (depending on the camo scheme) from the factory. 

HTH,

D

Cool, that's what I'll go with then. Thanks for the assist.

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

So for camo'd planes, does that mean that the rear deck carried that camo demarcation, or is it a solid color?

I've seen it both ways.

An AVG Hawk 81 sowing the color demarcation continuing through the area under the clear part:

jUE2Udy.jpg

A P-40E with that area entirely Dark Earth (Dupont Equivalent):

DC5KWrh.jpg

Best to use photos of the subject you intend to build, and to remember that the area in question was always an exterior color (never Interior Green).

HTH,

D

11 hours ago, D Bellis said:

the area in question was always an exterior color (never Interior Green).

HTH,

D

You are correct!  It is often shown as interior green but photos have shown it is the exterior color.

And yet another somewhat pathetic update. (At this point, I'm pretty happy to get any work done.) Since fuselage is coming along great, I decided to start cleaning up the wings. Here the gun inserts and some other faults, are addressed with liquid putty, as well as some Vallejo applied around the MLG knees.

sNYZUI.jpg

All of the ejector pin raised surface marring has now been sanded from the port wing. Starboard side still yet to be addressed. I also noticed that the port wingtip needed some help, so after some Tamiya cement, the tip was clamped together.

wmeuP7.jpg