Hasegawa P-40N

LSP_K2

On 4/4/2024 at 12:13 AM, LSP_K2 said:

Centerline bomb now painted, again. I’ve noted that on many bombs of this nature, there seem to be reddish brown bands painted in the area of the shipping rings, so I have now masked and painted these. Bomb stripe decals are pretty much worthless, so I'll just paint those on. Fingers crossed.

oliWSI.jpg

Fun trivia- the reddish brown rings were just scuff marks from the wooden packaging rings attached to the bombs during shipment.  

4 hours ago, John1 said:

Fun trivia- the reddish brown rings were just scuff marks from the wooden packaging rings attached to the bombs during shipment.  

While in general I believe that's true, I suspect from time to time actual rings were painted on. In the photo below, the fifth and sixth bombs from the front, are a good example. As to some shipping rings being wood, I'd never heard that before.

yx7z9R.jpg

11 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

This illustrates my point well. Those are metal shipping rings. Did they have wooden inserts perhaps?

No idea Kevin.  I did some research on colors of US bombs for my old F4U-1D build and remember a few folks (maybe over on BritModler?) telling me those rings were wood.  Regardless, it's minutia, don't mean to side track your great build! 

6 hours ago, John1 said:

No idea Kevin.  I did some research on colors of US bombs for my old F4U-1D build and remember a few folks (maybe over on BritModler?) telling me those rings were wood.  Regardless, it's minutia, don't mean to side track your great build! 

No problem at all. I find the subject fascinating, and still seek more answers. I may well start a thread in GD.

Regards,

In a few of my photos, the deck behind the pilot armor was just sitting there. Now that I’ve touched-up the armor plate (I accidentally bumped it with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol), this item is finally secured in place. Tape gives a snug fit with the bottom, assuring that the rear glass won’t ride high, which it otherwise surely would. I realize this is a rather pathetic update, but I’m quite happy to have gotten this far. I've also noticed a couple of errant scribed lines which will also need to be fixed.

1eQ8Mn.jpg