1/35 B-17G

Grunticus

1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

I would bet serious money the folks at Border Models have ZERO idea that "Masters of the Air" is out and would not base their business decisions on a fleeting Hollywood crumpet.

As someone else pointed out, this design has been in the works for months, and production would be impossible to tie-in with an Apple TV launch.

It's why conspiracy theories are so compelling: no one would ever believe a sociopathic loner with a mail-order shitty copy of a German mauser would be able to shoot the president of the United States from a window in the building where he just happened to work. Too fantastical. A movie plot like that would be laughed out of the pitch meetings in Hollywood. There HAS to be a logical answer....

HI Bill, whether intentional or not the timing is excellent.  

Another point of consideration, what is Aska?  Do we have yet another player in the Chinese modeling industry?  Are we going to now get multiple Chinese companies releasing B-17s?  Or did common sense prevail and instead of x,y and z doing their own version of the same kit, x,y and z joined on one project under borders name, x and y getting a cut and Borders name going on the box.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I guess Aska is a model design studio. There are multiple ones in China. It looks they work as subcontractors for companies such Meng, Takom, etc 

Hmm, wonder if that’s who screwed up the Meng and Takom AH-64 cockpits in the same exact way?

could be interesting, but will depend on the price point , for a B-17 and B-25 i could maybe make a 1/35 exception but not if its at the Lancaster price point, i don't have the HK versions yet so maybe, or ill just wait for ppl to dump the HK versions for cheap! 

43 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Hmm, wonder if that’s who screwed up the Meng and Takom AH-64 cockpits in the same exact way?

I thought exactly the same thing. Some similarities between the two kits are the clue of a common initial design source.

13 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I thought exactly the same thing. Some similarities between the two kits are the clue of a common initial design source.

58 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I thought it was well documented that Snowman did the CAD for the Takom, so I'd imagine that they also sold it on to MEng?

I have done one HKM B-17, but it got shelved for about a year as the shape of the nose and tail really bothered me.  If Aska or whatever Border's calling themselves this week can deliver a well-done B-17 in 1/35, you could probably count me in.

13 minutes ago, ChuckD said:

I have done one HKM B-17, but it got shelved for about a year as the shape of the nose and tail really bothered me.  If Aska or whatever Border's calling themselves this week can deliver a well-done B-17 in 1/35, you could probably count me in.

The tail ...?

Is there anything more than a black silhouette to this?  I have yet to see any CAD drawings.

I’m sure they know all about MOTA, and this announcement could also be a fishing expedition to see if there is real interest.

Considering that their 1/35 109G6 takes a lot of bad shapes from a Trumpeter 109, I don’t like our chances of getting one that is shaped well.

To be honest, I don’t see a MOTA tie-in here.  The show will be over in a month, and the moment will have passed by the time a kit comes out.  Besides, not sure a MOTA tie-on will increase sales by any measurable degree.  It isn’t likely to make anyone who doesn’t already want a 1/35 B-17 buy a kit, and the make or break for those that do will be whether it’s an accurate and detailed kit, not because it has 100th BG markings.

24 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Is there anything more than a black silhouette to this?  I have yet to see any CAD drawings.

I’m sure they know all about MOTA, and this announcement could also be a fishing expedition to see if there is real interest.

Considering that their 1/35 109G6 takes a lot of bad shapes from a Trumpeter 109, I don’t like our chances of getting one that is shaped well.

Ah , not only their -109 but their spitty MKVb. Way too much Hobby Boss DNA, don't rightly know about the Stuka as I don't have that one. If Aska was involved with the "Kate" ,they maybe able to pull off the -17. I wonder if they were involved with the Fw?