Revell P-51D-5NA

Grunticus

The Storch is all but finished. I am still awaiting AM for the intended next kit, so in the mean time I decided to start this one. It's been in my stash for years. I had it in my hand a few times but put it back. Not this time.

I have read about the few caveats this kit has like needing to thin the sidewall mouns (thanks Mike @MikeMaben ) to have an easier closure of the fuselage and the wrong colour call-out for the radio rack. If you have any other inportant thing, please do mention them here. I have not decided on the finish yet, but the included decal options are not tempting to me.

s25EVnQ.jpg

The only AM for this one will be Eduard Brassin wheels, and HGW seatbelts.

Mbqyln6.jpg

vAZkwcM.jpg

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

We’ll, you certainly can’t be accused of ‘being in a rut’ with regards to your subject choices Grunty!

Look forward to seeing how you get on with it.. Mine’s at the finishing line.

Youir is coming out beutiful Richard! I have followed the build and maybe that is why I did not put the box back on the stack this time. I hope I can come close to how you are finishing it.

Mine’s slowly working it’s way to the top of the pile, so I’ll follow if I may.

I don’t know about the wheels but I’ll certainly be investing in a set of HGW belts, and perhaps some replacement flaps as I don’t like the way the kit items are constructed.

Looking forward to the build.

John

Thanks Lee, better to let us know when you have an issue with something so we can suggest

fixes. Some people have had issues with some particular thing and others haven't.

You can skim my WIP for 'some' help but it's not a bible for building this kit  :whistle:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/

Have fun.

Today I prepared all the parts for the cockpit. I heavily thinned the side supports of the seat as far as I dared. I think it's a feature that shows.

VkZeHIW.jpg

Al the parts are ready for further detailing and then assembly. I removed everything Mike recommended and thinned the side frames for easier assembly.

FymYLMc.jpg

In the HGW set there is a dinghy. On the cardboard of the package there are instructions about "how to apply decal". There is however no decal in my set? I assume there should be one for the "U.S. Army Air Forces" text on the dinghy. This is the second time in a row an HGW set disappoints.  I will print it myself on clear decal film.

GdgSabD.png

Cheers!

Edited by Grunticus
addition

nice Mustang project, if you are looking for accuracy  that seat model was not correct for the D-5 version, instead the Warren Macarthur,  

I  quote  some explanation from John Terrell himself written in the Mustang SIG forum time ago:

The more I have looked at photos, the more it seems that the metal SJ seat only became prevalent, or at least more prevalent, in later D-models, past the D-15-NA era blocks. It seems that P-51D-5-NA's and D-10-NA's, if at least mostly, were fitted with WM seats. I don't recall seeing much, if any, photos showing WWII-era P-51B's or C's fitted with anything other than a WM seat, though a few of the P-51B/C's flying today are fitted with a metal SJ seat to the stock seat posts, while others have a WM seat (of which there are multiple types) installed to the stock seat posts.

You really start to see metal-SJ seats on P-51D-20-NA's, D-25-NA's, and D-30-NA's, though I believe you can also find WM seats mounted to these blocks as well. If I were to model a P-51D-5 to D-15, I'd be more inclined to model it with a WM seat, and if I were to model a P-51D-20 to D-30, I'd be more inclined to model it with a SJ seat (without looking at actual photos of the individual aircraft before starting).

Also check the underseat area,  is a canvas dust protector, Interior green is on the floor but till the wing fuel gauges , the ventilation system was black painted.

hope it helps, keep the great work, cheers

IMG-20200111-031459.jpg

I spent some more time detailing some parts. I added a bar to the seat-backing, and added wiring to te battery.

L5d0Lrp.jpg

This is an unrestored original (Guatemalan) P-51D. I can leave the head rest black instead of brown as instructed by Revell. Those two placards left and right of the seat are included on the decal sheet by Revell, nice touch!

I also believe I need to re-think my interior green choice..... it's too yellowwy?

dqNYyo7.png

Here's how they look finished:

9vhbEJc.jpg

The fuselage halves were removed from the sprues and cleaned-up, there were four ejectorpin marks, but they were of the raised variety instead of indented and easily sanded away. I see now I forgot the ones on the seat backing, they need filling. If the can be seen with the seat on there I will, otherwise not.

I also bought an Eduard decal sheet as it was only € 11,95. One of these two will be my subject, both are nice looking I think. The Flying Dutchman gets the edge for now.

77BaMl6.png

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Grunticus said:

I spent some more time detailing some parts. I added a bar to the seat-backing, and added wiring to te battery.

L5d0Lrp.jpg

This is an unrestored original (Guatemalan) P-51D. I can leave the head rest black instead of brown as instructed by Revell. Those two placards left and right of the seat are included on the decal sheet by Revell, nice touch!

I also believe I need to re-think my interior green choice..... it's too yellowwy?

dqNYyo7.png

Here's how they look finished:

9vhbEJc.jpg

The fuselage halves were removed from the sprues and cleaned-up, there were four ejectorpin marks, but they were of the raised variety instead of indented and easily sanded away. I see now I forgot the ones on the seat backing, they need filling. If the can be seen with the seat on there I will, otherwise not.

I also bought an Eduard decal sheet as it was only € 11,95. One of these two will be my subject, both are nice looking I think. The Flying Dutchman gets the edge for now.

77BaMl6.png

Cheers!

Great work! I think you'll find many variations of green zinc chromate are possible, even within the same cockpit. The seats were often different from the cockpit structure. Your mix looks pretty good to me.

good work on the SCR-552 VHF Transmitter not the battery though, the battery is the other box next to it, the Guatemalan Mustang cockpit is not unrestored as they say, it has clearly many  parts repainted, even  the stencils  on the black parts!! and some modern instruments on the instrument panel , added plates on the floor...  Screenshot-1581.png

this is a unrestored cockpit 

Panel-full-size.jpg

this is my relic from a Mustang cockpit showing the Interior green color 

Whats-App-Image-2022-12-19-at-14-48-45.j

the headrest was brown or dark grey 

118653353-3198963306819504-8598526076689

cheers

13 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

good work on the SCR-552 VHF Transmitter not the battery though, the battery is the other box next to it, the Guatemalan Mustang cockpit is not unrestored as they say, it has clearly many  parts repainted, even  the stencils  on the black parts!! and some modern instruments on the instrument panel , added plates on the floor... 

this is a unrestored cockpit 

this is my relic from a Mustang cockpit showing the Interior green color 

the headrest was brown or dark grey 

cheers

Thanks Antonio! The color was just off in the photo, it was the lighting.

10 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks like a great start. The Revell Mustang seems to be a really nice kit. Certainly not the equal to the Tamiya Mustang, but it's also not meant to be. 

Matt 

Thanks Matt. So far it IS a nice kit but I'm not very far yet. There is a lot of (smallish) flash which is unusual for a new kit, I bought it right after it came out. Nothing big though, just regular cleanup work. The Tamiya is 2-3 the price of this one, but I agree the Tamiya is IT as far as a P-51D is concerned.

2 hours ago, Grunticus said:

, but I agree the Tamiya is IT as far as a P-51D is concerned.

Would the Zoukei-Mura Mustang figure into this?  would Z-M come in second place?  (ducks and runs for cover)