MASTERS is here!

1 hour ago, ChuckD said:

I keep seeing this thread title and thinking, "why the hell are the guys getting so excited about a golf tournament?".

You understand now why Max @mozart is not around. :P

The temptation to get Apple TV is getting much stronger.... 

I will wait to be able to binge the whole deal. Hopefully, this one makes money; the Pacific apparently barely did and really soured HBO on doing another WWII war epic, or so a few videos on the internet told me. 

Reading 'Masters of the Air'. I failed to shun the tv series. Both are impressive. If you haven't read the book, do. There is a lot there that isn't on the telly.

34 minutes ago, Christa said:

Reading 'Masters of the Air'. I failed to shun the tv series. Both are impressive. If you haven't read the book, do. There is a lot there that isn't on the telly.

Obviously a movie is not a book ;)

That's kind of disappointing to hear. I am starting it today but I suspected the CGI would be an issue.  I don't think the industry has mastered WW2 flying CGI

1 hour ago, Markjames1968 said:

me110’s called ju88’s, 109s called 190s

These were from authentic ( and erroneous) B-17 crew reports.

1 hour ago, Markjames1968 said:

unnecessary Brit bashing 

What you called Brit bashing was generally Yanks bashing as there was a real animosity among British male population seeing young, healthy, well-fed boys coming from overseas to woo their spouses and fiancées. Call me a spoiler but there’s a hint of this oft-disregarded issue in the very first episode where you see women working in the fields with no man in sight.

Don’t mind the cgi. There’s much more to the eye in this series (and the previous two) than one thinks.

Gents, Gals,

It's entertainment period.  Yes, the CGI isn't all WHAT we expect.  The latest episode is pure entertainment and character build up, however if you're looking for the perfect "air war" movie, I never witnessed one yet?  Have you?  Top Gun?  Seriously?  The smoking tail section of a blow up 100th bomb group B-17 at high altitude is cringe worthy. I know you peeps will eventually watch this! HA.  The crash scene in episode 3 of a mighty -17 fort going down in a field totally on fire at a 35 degree angle is also cringe worthy but with survivors! Yes.  Hmmmm.  Trapped ball gunner turret operator in a dying Fort falling apart high altitude with one buddy saying "I gotta go" to his trapped ball gunner, see yah, buddy!  It's all there but I'm glad to witness what these men when through in the mid 40's.  You can always cuddle up with your spouse and watch another episode of 90 day fiancé or house wives?   Runny to the Loo now!  :coolio:

The CGI isn’t an issue for me.

Nothing so far has jarred or thrown me out of the moment.

This is a story that deserves to be told, and much as we’d all prefer a screen full of ‘real’ B-17s, unfortunately that’s not possible and I think they’ve done a great job with what they have.

There’s a group on Facebook: ‘MotA Behind the scenes’ where a number of the relatives of the USAAF personnel depicted are posting to say how grateful they are that someone is illustrating what their fathers/grandfathers/uncles went through.

We can quibble about the number of rivets in each cockpit, but this series is getting across the sheer terror experienced and bravery shown by those young men and it ‘s 100% worth watching for that.

I am enjoying it and think they have done it really well.

One thing is triggering me tough and driving me bat$hit crazy and that is the battle damage - EVERY aircraft on EVERY mission is coming back with the most ridiculous damage - 2 or 3 engine cowlings blown off, car sized holes all over the airframe - it is really jarring...

other than that an enjoyable ride :)

Peter

11 hours ago, airscale said:

I am enjoying it and think they have done it really well.

One thing is triggering me tough and driving me bat$hit crazy and that is the battle damage - EVERY aircraft on EVERY mission is coming back with the most ridiculous damage - 2 or 3 engine cowlings blown off, car sized holes all over the airframe - it is really jarring...

Peter

I watched the first two episodes last night and came out of it with exactly the same thoughts... and then the planes are all fixed by the next morning. Other than that the story seems good so far.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:28 AM, airscale said:

Peter

We all understand, this series on Netflix is for a general audience. Spectacular airframe damage is more likely to be shown than realistic injuries to aircrew; the former might make a valid point - some B 17s got home despite horrendous damage - the latter would probably look repulsive and cause my mum to switch off. It was not unusual for ground crews to need hoses to wash out spilled blood and other human remains from returned bombers. I don't mind being spared such sights.

Is there both exaggeration and discrete understatement in this series? Of course. The storyteller has a hard row to hoe. Some OTT battle damage images disappoint me too but on balance, I'm with you Peter, 'an enjoyable ride.'

Chris