1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.I (Early) K9795 19 Squadron October 1938

monthebiff

Modelling of the highest standard, as expected from you Andy. Absolutely right on the nail! :bow: It’s good news about the decals, I hate using them but perhaps when I do mine I might be able to achieve something presentable. :huh:

Some more done and thank you for your kind comments. I now have everything together as in the main sub assemblies and now have a very nice early Spitfire 

20240124-164448.jpg

20240127-135925.jpg

I forget how lazy having pre cut mask sets make us. Back to DIY on this one as nothing is there for for the time being 

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Look at those clean lines! I’m reading Tom Neil’s “Gun Button to Fire” and just read about his first flight in a Spitfire….pure exhilaration and joy he says. 

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

That looks very smart Andy. 

It's remarkable how one element can change the whole look. 

The prop and spinner is a definite link back to the interwar biplanes. 

Keep it up.

She is looking very sleek and that prop definitely has the feel of the biplane before it! 

As others have said, the assembly sequence is very clever leaving no real join lines but rather panel lines. I have a couple of areas to clean up before paint but nothing major at all. I I'd find the fit of the wing assembly to the fuselage very difficult and tight so I'm assuming I did something wrong somewhere maybe with the wing fillet alignment?

Regards. Andy 

12 hours ago, PEYSSON Gilles said:

Hi Andy

Your Spitfire is so beautiful and I can't wait to see what happens next......including the start of the paintwork.

Gilles

I'm intrigued about the start of the paintwork as well Gilles and in particular the aluminium undersides! I need to have a play on some test parts and try and determine the best colour to use from the Vallejo Metal Colours I have.

Regards. Andy 

• 5 weeks later...

I've not spent any real time on this build while distracted converting my other Kotare Spitfire to a Mk.Vb but back on this and getting g it ready for paint. I found a very annoying gap between the back of the rear canopy and the upper fuselage spine which I'm not really sure how that happened as the fit the the tail of the spine is perfect 

20240222-193839.jpg

20240222-193906.jpg

20240222-193913.jpg

So here is a very strange thing I've found with this kit. The lower light under the wing does not fit and is very thick and sits proud.

20240224-132010.jpg

Now compare this with the apparently same lens from the same sprue from the "Brian Lane" boxing of this kit

20240224-131940.jpg

and another comparison 

20240224-132046.jpg

All a bit strange and can only assume Kotare have more than one set of tools for the clear parts and something has been overlooked on the Mk.I Early as this is pretty poor in my eyes. 

Regards. Andy 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, monthebiff said:

Finally some bench time this weekend and managed to complete the cockpit. First of all I have to say the decals in this kit are super, super thin and a real pleasure to work with and the instrument panel took very little time to complete 

20240121-191100.jpg

20240121-191116.jpg

20240121-191250.jpg

20240121-191321.jpg

20240121-210428.jpg

20240121-210438.jpg

20240121-210445.jpg

Planning on getting the fuselage halves closed up tomorrow and then see how the wing assembly fits.

Regards. Andy 

Very impressive on the cockpit Andy - what did you use for a wash?

Kind regards,

Paul