*** 1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.Ia "Brian Lane" COMPLETE ***

Hoss FL

Time for a quick update. The main topside camo is now complete. I started with the Dark Earth using Mr Color C369. 

DzrHDsy.jpg

I've had good results using white tack for the masking boundaries - no ridge and a relatively hard edge line. 

ruhJUjK.jpg

The base dark green was Mr Color C361, but I used a number of other similar colors to depict the variety of paint from the various subcontractors (engine panels, tail section, canopy frame, etc.) and the lightening of the fabric surfaces. 

D3Ln05Y.jpg

The variation is subtle but it's there. It may go unnoticed after decals, panel line washes and other weathering, but it will contribute to the overall look I'm shooting for. 

FvlUcZy.jpg

That's all for now. Gloss coat and decals next.

Thanks again for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome.  

Time for another update. The decals are now complete. 

4ucBVZt.jpg

The decals are by Cartograf and they are thin, in perfect register, the colors look spot on and they conformed to the surface as well as any I've used. 

Q8R2yPo.jpg

The model really comes to life when the markings go on. The stencils were apparently overpainted on the underside when the aircraft was painted from the black and white scheme to Sky Blue. 

wXWTtpW.jpg

Note to future bulders of this kit. The decal process over the extensive positive rivets took a long time, tested my patience, but worked in the end. If you zoom in you can see the zillions of rivets that each decided to become a bubble during the decal process. 

8tTykZB.jpg

The exhausts are cool and the kit has decals for the manifolds. My version of inconel is gloss black base coat followed by a 1:1 mix of Mr Color Metallic Black and Super Stainless. I'll weather the exhausts after sealing in the decals. 

2YvgsmK.jpg

Here's my work on the figure so far. Still a long way to go.  

6xiVhB0.jpg

Next is a gloss coat over the decals and then a panel line wash. 

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome. 

As you say, it really does come to life with the decals on.

Good work getting the fuselage markings to conform, I think it would have been more difficult to paint them accurately with all the rivets sticking out.

John

On 1/7/2024 at 6:10 PM, Hoss FL said:

The stencils were apparently overpainted on the underside when the aircraft was painted from the black and white scheme to Sky Blue.

Yep.  Super looking progress Jim.  Gonna be a beaut !

• Hoss FL changed the title to *** 1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.Ia "Brian Lane" COMPLETE ***

My rendition of Spitfire QV-K is now complete. Since the last update, I applied another gloss coat over the decals, applied an oil panel line wash, did some weathering to match the photos as best as possible and finalized assembly. Here are a few teaser photos.

Here's the link the to RFI page: 

Thanks again for the comments and for following along.

mi6GNW0.jpg

cFQ6Ael.jpg

UBpS3kC.jpg

Edited by Hoss FL