Yak-9T – René CHALLE – Régiment Normandie-Niemen – ICM 1/32

Furie

Hi Fab, yes, I'll be visiting Bron on Saturday March 23, normally with 2 friends from the Fighters forum.

Are you coming on Saturday too?

On 3/3/2024 at 5:30 PM, Furie said:

Hi Fab, yes, I'll be visiting Bron on Saturday March 23, normally with 2 friends from the Fighters forum.

Are you coming on Saturday too?

Yes i will in the afternoon

Cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit of work on the beast, nothing too impressive but necessary to have something well finished before painting.
I glued the 2 upper wings to each side of the fuselage, to make the joint as nice as possible, then glued the lower surface to the fuselage and to the 2 upper wings.
I also glued to the bottom of the 2 air intakes on the 2 wings, a grid made from a flour sieve (thanks Paolo for the tip).
The 2 horizontal tailplanes are also glued on, but I left out the 2 ailerons + vertical fin + 2 movable horizontal tailplanes.
Some engraving on the engine cowl and also some rivet lines, but not too much as the plane was quite smooth.
Note, but it won't surprise those who know me well, that I forgot to glue the cockpit floor once the wings and fuselage were glued together...
Big moment of solitude...
*sigh of weariness*
I had to unstick the bottom of the pilot seat and patiently managed to get the floor in place and glued... 
A photo of 2 Border pencils for engraving structural lines, ordered from Ali Express.
Micromesh 12000 was applied all over the Yak, followed by a coat of MRP Dark Alu paint only at the panel junctions and on the wing fillet.
Next, an even coat of MRP black to start the BB'ing.

2k6p.jpg

qmq0.jpg

cspg.jpg

qjif.jpg

4xek.jpg

vk08.jpg

le15.jpg

l8zn.jpg

1569.jpg

x2mk.jpg

Thank you for your comments and messages.
Well, this morning I applied a coat of MRP-LPB black, MRP's black primer.
No dilution, a final cleaning of the plane with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, the compressor pressure at maximum and I blow the whole model to remove any last dust that might still remain on the surface.
I lower the compressor pressure and start with the underside of the wings, then the top, the front of the fuselage.
I let it dry for a few minutes, then use a lint-free cloth to pick up the aircraft by the wings and continue with the back of the fuselage. 
I'm always pleasantly surprised by MRP-LPB: this black primer is very easy to apply, has a particularly smooth, slightly satin finish, dries very quickly, provides excellent adhesion for the paint to come and, of course, highlights all the little flaws in the construction. And since I'm doing BB'ing, I won't have to paint over a layer of black paint.
I'm starting to see the shape of the plane with this black paint: it's very sleek with its beautiful wings, slim fuselage and cockpit set slightly aft. 

The next step will be to remove all the small defects and then apply the white BB'ing.

See you soon and have a good Sunday, folks. ;)

8jvz.jpg

p3ar.jpg

c0bn.jpg

phnk.jpg

pda2.jpg

zrb0.jpg

h4hc.jpg

qenb.jpg

I’m another fan of MRP Black primer, in fact I have another bottle on order right now since current stocks in the Mozart study are running low! You have to be very thorough with cleaning the airbrush afterwards though. 

I corrected all the small assembly defects on my Yak 9 (micro mesh 800 => 12000) and then repainted with MRP-LPB black/primer.
The metal parts (front of the plane, cockpit area, engine cowl, the central part of the wing underneath, vertical and horizontal fixed tail) are treated in the usual way with white.
For the rear parts of the fuselage, which are canvas-covered, I applied white paint, but only lengthwise, using paint fillets.
For the rest of the wings, I also painted from front to back, using white paint and a brown-green paint to break up the monotony of the BB'ing. 
Will it show once the camouflage shades are applied to my model?
That'll be a surprise for you and me!

gvaf.jpg

o2ws.jpg

t1ah.jpg

dl8t.jpg

od6z.jpg

rvpy.jpg

zxcg.jpg

za54.jpg

ja9g.jpg

2ckb.jpg

o8u8.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for looking and for your messages.
I'm thinking of trying on a mule for this BB'ing of the rather unusual wings.

I preferred to take care of the green and red formation lights before continuing with the camouflage.
The transparent parts are really too big.
So I drilled them out on the inside with a 0.5mm drill bit, then applied a little translucent green and red paint.
Then I glued these 2 pieces together with 5mn bi-component epoxy glue to ensure a very solid bond for the sanding to come.
I let the glue dry overnight and then shaped and polished these formation lights with Micro Mesch 2500 => 12000. 
As it wasn't perfect yet, I had to apply a little putty to get the light/wing junction just right.

4ean.jpg

pyft.jpg

se50.jpg

dtul.jpg

8dj3.jpg

oecw.jpg

6hbv.jpg

Edited by Furie