Andy's Hobby HQ New 1/16th Kit...

LSP_Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. 

I made out on Christmas lol. No new kits, but that's no big deal now, since I have a stash of 3 unbuilt 1/16th tanks, 1 in 1/35, and the infernal Zero that I started and faltered on. 

Anyway, I ended up getting one of those small paint booths. Not expecting much, its really nice, and while noisy, it works more or less ok.  I ended up with two electric airbrushes. I can't remember who posted about it, but in one of the airbrush threads, some mentioned they had been using one almost exclusively. They are so cheap too. I was intrigued and mentioned it to the wife and others, two were the result. One, the kind the pump charges with a USB cord, has three speeds, and the other the kind with a hose and small plug in pump.  

My other airbrush setup uses a garage-sized compressor and wasn't indoor-friendly. This was always the type I had used, more of a spray gun, than a "airbrush",. I always ran them with the biggest needle and used them as a spray paint replacement.  After some videos posted here, it was clear, that was not the only use for an airbrush, and the little electric ones really allowed me, along with the paint booth to bring it inside. 

Another factor was watching a guy use eyedroppers, cheap ones, to pre-mix the paint in little pill cups, all stuff you can get for very little money. these items, along with one of those pots you spray the airbrush into when cleaning it, has made keeping it clean a realistic proposition. I still have no idea really how to use one in a fine manor, but I'll figure it out. This really makes airplanes more viable in my mind, maybe even a car or two. I think can make paint look nice, not tank sloppy!

IMG_4365-2600x1950.jpg

This is the little plug in one. 

Paint booth, I guess I didn't take along shot, but it has a tube the runs out the back, and out the door. 

IMG_4367-2600x1950.jpg

You can see the USB one here... 

IMG_4366-2600x1950.jpg

Lesson one, the paints, that say they are air brush ready need to be thinned almost like Tamiya does!!

You can see all the value gear storage stuff on the table, these will be much easier to paint now. 

IMG_4369-2600x1950.jpg

I have to give them props, I have bought almost all the Sherman add-ons, several generic tarp ones, and now both the specific ones for the M10, and Achilles, and there is NOT ONE REPEAT box or crate in or tarp. Sure, ammo boxes and crates repeat, but none of the kits share any of the opened boxes or tarps. 

I have been building but most of it has been on the M103... 

It's getting close. 

20231212_170959-2600x1463.jpg

That dust removal brush is GOLD! 

Anyway, Happy New Year guys! 

That's Tacom M103A2, 1/35 amazing kit. The other is a Sherman Vc Firefly by RFM, also, a very nice kit. Tough too, the cat sent it flying onto a wooden floor, and it only lost the tools, and tow hitch setup. Both have working suspension and indy link tracks right out of the box. 

OK, didn't know Takom made either kit! Of course, I am currently focusing on 1/16th. I have a 1/16th Firefly conversion I am thinking on using on the M10 kit, unless Andy releases a VVSS Sherman sometime soon.

Yeah, it would be nice if Andy Did an early to mid-war Sherman 75 of some type. Something with the 56-degree hull with the driver's hoods. All but the IC Hybrid Fireflies were small hatch 56-degree tanks. If he did any type of M4 a Firefly would be easy. Even a late-war M4 Hybrid hull, where the front looks like an M4A1, but the rear is all welded, would build into a good Firefly. 

I doubt he will do an M4A4/Firefly 5C, since the US only really used the M4A4 in training in the US. 

I wonder if he is going to expand his 1/16th Timeline a bit.  All the RC Pershings, even the Tamiya are not super great as models. So a nice 1/16th Pershing would be fun, easy to do an M46 from the same basic parts.  Maybe a nice M48A3 or Leopard 1. 

Not that there are not many WWII subjects that would be cool. I really want an M3 Lee.  I just want him to keep going in 1/16th because 1/35 is so hard!! 

I'm holding out for a mainliner mid-war Sherman with a full interior. Hoping Andy grants my wish!

I noticed I Love Kit (aka Trumpeter/Hobbyboss) is releasing several variations of the Sherman in 1/16 scale this coming year. Although, it's almost a given that they will not contain an interior.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA