Andy's Hobby HQ New 1/16th Kit...

LSP_Ray

5 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

The Hasegawa 1/48 kits are actually more detailed and build up quite nicely. If you drop down to their 1/72 line, there's a lot more variety. 

I've been looking at those. I guess the Macross stuff had its 40th anniversary, so there is tons of stuff out there. It looks like the plastic model rights have changed hands 3 to 5 times?

The Hasegawa kits seem pretty reasonable too.

They seem to have many of the mechs Battletech used in the first few editions before they lost the rights to most of them. They had everything from Macross but the basic bad-guy stuff. I remember being really disappointed when the company that made Battletech lost those rights, and all my favorite mechs became hard to find. I still have a bunch. No more Mauraders or Warhammers!

100_0428-2600x1950.jpg

Andy said that in the future Das Werk will concentrate on releasing german armor, and Andy will concentrate on american armor. And he also said that the next kit wont be a WW2 vehicle! And that cant be a Korean War veichle either since the armor used in that conflict was from WW2. Then it must be a vehicle from the Vietnam war or a modern one.  

37 minutes ago, RNoAF said:

Andy said that in the future Das Werk will concentrate on releasing german armor, and Andy will concentrate on american armor. And he also said that the next kit wont be a WW2 vehicle! And that cant be a Korean War veichle either since the armor used in that conflict was from WW2. Then it must be a vehicle from the Vietnam war or a modern one.  

I've never been a real fan of American armor, so it looks like Das Werk for me.

On 3/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, RNoAF said:

That might be taking the term a little too literally. I have the feeling that Andy considers his Korean War Sherman as a Korean war vehicle, though its just a later version of a WWII tank. I have a feeling that a Pershing or a Chaffee could be released under the label of Korean War vehicle. Perhaps era is a better term than limiting it to being present in a specific conflict. Or, I may be completely off base and he means vehicles not used in WWII. We shall see.

Don't forget there was the M26a1, M46 and M47 of post war vintage, but I can't imagine those being chosen. The M41 was actually of Koren War vintage, but used in combat in Vietnam. Then there's the entire line of M24 and M41 based SPG's and AAA vehicles. I could go for an M42 Duster. There was also the M103 heavy tank.

Edited by eoyguy

On 3/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, RNoAF said:

The M103 would be massive, and I'd buy it at double the Sherman price. It's such a neet tank. As is the T29 with the big battleship-looking range finders.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 6:26 AM, LSP_Mike said:

So, did anyone else see the Trumpeter 1/16th  Tiger I, with interior? I think an early & late?

I already got the late Tiger. It looks ok, there are some things to fix (mostly where they mixed early with late), see David Byrden's site.

Getting my big Kitty today (hopefully, USPS...)

While I much appreciate David Byrdens info, I find it somewhat like referring to Greys Anatomy (the book, not the TV program) to treat a cut. He seems to live for the Tiger, and every (and I mean every) error in a kit is seemingly thought of as a serious flaw. He, and others, don't sometimes take into account the realities and limitations of creating a scale kit that can be brought to market at a relatively affordable price. And as importantly for me, I have the opportunity to compare it to what has been available up to this point in a  large scale Late Tiger I, and I am beyond thankful that I wont once again,be throwing good money at a mediocre RC based kit. Could it have been better? Sure, every kit can be, but unless your fanaticism for the subject even approaches Davids, I think 99 percent of people who buy one will be happy to accept the flaws or take some time to correct them to their personal satisfaction.

Now, back to the Torro/Taigen/Merit pile that I have been trying to polish for far too long...

While, yes, he is a Tiger fanatic it is always good to know any information out there. Some of the errors are small and easily fixed. Always better to know up front and not after you have finished it. It's up to you to decide what to fix and what not to. 

In my opinion, Trumpeter's biggest error is to use the !@#%^ clear hull and turret parts without providing solid color parts. I hate dealing with clear parts! 

Are the clear parts hard to paint? Poring over every single detail can be tiresome, without trying to grasp nuances of a production type. How early is the early model? How late is the late?

I don't think clear parts are that hard to paint really, especially if you lightly sand them first. The problem is sanding and working with the clear parts as they are typically brittle. So, if you need to remove details, like the Pilze crane points on the late Tiger if you want to do a slightly earlier version, it is kind of a pain. The Pilze crane attachment points are one of the latest items added to Tigers, and the Trumpy kit has them, as well as the rain drains in the commander's cupola. So, it looks like Trumpeter tried to do a 'final' production model Tiger. Problem is Trumpy used Bovington's early Tiger I '131' for some of it's research so there are some early details. Also, according to Byrden, they used Rye Field Model's 1/35th late Tiger I as reference that also used 131, so probably a mix of both. 

It's best to decide which Tiger you want to do, make an educated guess as to when it was produced, and go from there. 

Since I care very little about seeing a lot of the interior, I plan on priming the clear parts prior to building. I am glad its only the Turret roof and part of the upper hull.

Don't get me wrong , I am good with all the info you can get, but I don't like conclusions like "impossible to fix". With enough sheet plastic or Magic Sculpt, I feel like I can pretty much fix or rebuild anything. Maybe its my experience level, having started out basically rebuilding a Frontline Miniatures 1/15 T-34/85 that basically involved completely reshaping the turret with 2 part epoxy stick and adding weld details using wood glue. I still have it to this day, sitting on a Trumpy/Merit/whatevercompanyitis RC T-34 hull, and it looks as good as the kit part. Weighs about a LB or half kilo, but it survives to this day. I did that work in about 1996...

I have a few ref's on the Tiger, so when it's time, dive in, sort it out as best you can, go from there. 

Too bad about the RFM Tiger, I thought they were top of the mark. I wish there was a way to look at some Russian captures, I'm sure there are some interesting ones.