Flying Leathernecks Decals Now Owned by USMC Insignia LLC - October 24 2023

Dave Roof

As of 1130 today, Flying Leathernecks Decals is now owned by USMC Insignia LLC and are officially licensed products.

All of our decal sheets will be uploaded to their site over the next 24 hours, with the first one being here :

https://military-and-le-patches.myshopify.com/products/leatherneck-legacy-hornets-large-aircraft-decal-sheet?_pos=1&_sid=d333adef0&_ss=r

https://military-and-le-patches.myshopify.com/

Edited by Dave Roof

• Dave Roof changed the title to Flying Leathernecks Decals Now Owned by USMC Insignia LLC - October 24 2023
1 hour ago, BiggTim said:

I'm not understanding what on that sheet is subject to trademark laws. I do not see any USMC logos on that sheet at all, or did I just miss it? Have they trademarked the word "MARINES"?

From the link posted above for the USMC Commercial Use page:

Government insignia are protected by a variety of statutes and regulations (some of them specific to particular agencies) and are also afforded protections by trademark law. In the case of the Marine Corps, 10 U.S.C. § 7881 offers specific protection to the Marine Corps Seal, emblem, name, and initials “U.S.M.C.,” and requires written permission prior to the use of these brands on commercial products.  Recognizing the value of armed service brands, in 2004, Congress also authorized DoD agencies to license their trademarks for use on products, allowing that licensing royalties be used to cover program costs, as well as for morale, welfare and recreation activities for Marines (See 10 U.S.C. 2260).

The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is the universally recognized symbol of the United States Marine Corps.

The Eagle Globe and Anchor, Seal, initials (USMC) and name are the exclusive property of the United States Marine Corps.  Permission to use them for commercial retail and advertising (free or paid) is required.

The use of Marine Corps trademarks for commercial purposes, including reproduction on merchandise, is expressly prohibited unless the producer completes a license agreement with the Marine Corps.  Use is governed by the terms of the agreement.

Federal law, as well as Department of Defense and Marine Corps policy and regulations, prohibit the use of official Marine Corps markings and symbols in ways that imply endorsement of a private sector entity or activity (See 10 U.S.C. 7881, 32 CFR 765.14, and MCO 5030.3B).

An argument to use "MARINES" (where "name" may be limited to the full name of the service, United States Marine Corps) to be used w/out licensing could be brought but would probably fail and the cost for the license would be much cheaper than funding the litigation for the argument.

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, BiggTim said:

I'm not understanding what on that sheet is subject to trademark laws. I do not see any USMC logos on that sheet at all, or did I just miss it? Have they trademarked the word "MARINES"?

My logo with the modified Eagle, Globe and Anchor, the title MARINES, the term Flying Leathernecks used in my name, the squadron designators (VMFA(AW)-533, etc.) and squadron logos. The Trademark and Licensing office is being extremely difficult. On the bright side, a current MAG Commanding Officer sent me a message this morning asking if there was anything he could do to help. Short answer is probably not, but it's good to know there is a full bird Colonel that believes this is all bulls--t. 

What really bothers me is this is a small snippet of an email that was sent from the Trademark and Licensing office to the owner of USMC Insignia a couple days ago :

"Flying Leathernecks (FL) used to be a hobbyist licensee, that license ended.--------------Reference the time Allyn spends sending us infringers, they are bad for USMC Licensees and bad for the USMC Brand.  That said, FL makes products that are good for the USMC Brand and serve the USMC community.   I’d like it if D Roof were (again) a licensee, but after reviewing the licensing standards he doesn’t believe he qualifies."

It's not that I don't believe I'd qualify, I know I don't qualify. They raised the minimum requirements and as a sole proprietor, I literally cannot meet them. Their new license standards are set up for large companies with CEO's, CFO's, production facilities, etc. I currently do too much for a new hobbyist license and I'm not big enough for a business license. However, if they acknowledge that my decals are good for the USMC brand and serve the Marine Corps community, why can't they work with me to get me licensed again!?

Sounds like a massive infringement on the 1st Amendment and a total horse crap.    Someone should get together with that former Marine enlisted guy who made the comic strip about the Marines and make a line of parody gear really showcasing some of the Marine's quirkiness.