Laminar Flow Design + Tamiya = Spitfire XIVe

Uncarina

Definitely agree that the Spitfire is the most graceful aircraft ever designed. Add the low back, broad rudder and five blade Griffon qnd it is unmatched in beauty and elegance.

And Tom's point about the wings being full/unclipped is perfect. Clipped wings seem almost a crime.

I managed to apply some more paint today, adding the yellow leading edge strips and the walkways, and painted and added the exhausts. These fit beautifully! Next up will be adding stencils. I have the Eduard stencil set and just ordered the 1ManArmy set from Canada. I'm torn about which to use; the masks would be better but I don't want to lose momentum. I'll have to think about this.

9WVMWvp.jpg

0CB2Zro.jpg

Xrdt88W.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

48 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

This is an epic build Tom, you would have no idea  this is a major conversion at all. Very nicely done indeed.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you Andy! This and Sugars Blues are my favorite two conversions to build and I cannot recommend the LMD set highly enough. In terms of enjoyment and wow factor it is money very well spent!

Cheers,  Tom

26 minutes ago, TBC said:

Very nice, Tom. You've made this build/conversion appear to be a piece of cake.

I appreciate it! It actually is :). The fit is really good, just some careful cutting and dry-fitting transforms the base kit. I’m still in awe of how well those 12 exhausts fit.

Cheers,  Tom

3 hours ago, Fanes said:

Regarding the stencil conundrum:
Are the Eduard ones you have the type from which the carrier film can be removed?

I remember some manual from them, where they advise to use white spirit to rub it off.

Thanks for asking this. The Eduard decal film can be removed after drying for at least 6 hours by using tweezers to grab a corner and pulling up. The mineral spirit application will soften the film to make this easier, but even then it’s not a guarantee that part of the decal won’t lift up as well.

Cheers,  Tom

1 minute ago, Furie said:

I am amazed at the quality of your construction and your painting.
I try to guess where resin and plastic are and one sees absolutely no difference.
Everything is homogeneous, and the paint perfect.

:clap2:

Wow, I’m flattered! You are very kind. I think most of the credit can go to Mathieu and his conversion due to the fit and finesse of detail matching the Tamiya kit so well. That MRP paint is so good I can get away with using a $25 nail salon airbrush.

Cheers,  Tom

I had another opportunity today to make some progress, removing the canopy seam and applying paint, as well as installing the cannons. Off camera I have the pilot access door painted as well as the landing gear indicators. Progress!

X9HEgQa.jpg

28shqpg.jpg

ES8fd8D.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Wow, that's superb! Absolutely seamless conversion, and the finish is perfect. I was especially interested in your method of applying a tight feathered edge to the camouflage. Might try that on my French aircraft.

Seriously excellent work, and a nice Canadian scheme!

Richard