Laminar Flow Design + Tamiya = Spitfire XIVe

Uncarina

3 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Go Tom, go! You're doing great, and it's looking great. Sure is a splendid looking aircraft, isn't it?

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Thank you Dennis! I appreciate the encouragement, and yes, she's a fine beasty.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Terrific work Tom!

Thank you Brian!  This has been a really fun build, especially when after dry fitting the parts just slide into position. I'm continually impressed with the finesse and detail of the LFD parts.

Cheers,  Tom

21 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

I've added the landing gear. One of the nice things about these Tamiya kits is that they are removable, which makes them and the aircraft much easier to paint:

5LM27hm.jpg

5IlU8Tj.jpg

uLoN9kC.jpg

Now on to that five bladed propeller, and time to start making masks!

Lovely stuff Tom!    Did they give you a jig to get all 5 blades aligned correctly, or did the prop come assembled?

I only ask as I have the metal Propmaster jig that has paid for itself over the years with all the resin kits and what-not that needed to have props assembled.

12 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely stuff Tom!    Did they give you a jig to get all 5 blades aligned correctly, or did the prop come assembled?

I only ask as I have the metal Propmaster jig that has paid for itself over the years with all the resin kits and what-not that needed to have props assembled.

Thank you Brian! The blades are provided separately (with a spare, which is nice) from the spinner, so a jig will come in handy. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers,  Tom

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Thank you Brian! The blades are provided separately (with a spare, which is nice) from the spinner, so a jig will come in handy. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers,  Tom

No need for a jig, the blades are keyed and fit snug! Just plug them into the spinner and you're all set.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

45 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

I spent a couple of hours this morning drawing up the masks for AE K/MV256 in Silhouette Designer Studio:

NlDiybo.jpg

Next up will cutting a test set to assess sizing, and assembling the propellors and spinner. Until next time!

Cheers,  Tom

Tom,

Lovely work on the conversion, thanks for sharing it with us. 
Quick one on the Silhouette software - how do you find it to use? 
cheers,

Greg 

Thank you Greg! My experience is probably not as streamlined as others. I downloaded a zip file containing WWII RAF fonts which I can open in Microsoft Word but not Silhouette. I created the fuselage codes in Word, then did a screen capture which I saved as a JPG file, which can be opened in Silhouette. From there I sized each letter from measurements taken from the LMD stencils. For the roundels (Type C1) and fin flashes, I already had these downloaded from a file I saved a while back, either from the LSP sister site (https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com) or the Cutting Edge Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheCuttingEdgeModelersGroup/). For these I also resized from the LMD stencils.

It reads like a lot but I actually have great fun creating my own custom masks, and am really glad I took the plunge to get my craft cutter several years ago.

Cheers,  Tom

3 minutes ago, GMK said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, Tom. 

I’ve been kicking the can down the road, but I don’t think I can procrastinate any more. I’ll follow your fine example & crack on!

Greg, after seeing your truly masterful skills with 3-D printing in the non-LSP section (seriously, everyone should go over there and run a search of his projects), I have no doubt that custom mask making would be a great complement.

Cheers,  Tom

Hello. I just received my set (it's really high quality set). I follow your wondeful built. Your choice is original but not easy because AE-K letters included in DKdecals sheets 48053 seems bigger than standard size . I can't find photos of this plane. DKdecals have probably data but is DK decals still alive ?....

Edited by PHBIO