Airfix 1:24 Stuka

Duncan Doenitz

11 hours ago, airscale said:

gonna do some bits for this, I need to stop myself going bananas..

started with the MG15 and having a go at the seat..

FOPHGx.jpg

nAONtE.jpg

kit should arrive tomorrow (2nd hand one) so can have a good root around

Peter

I still have my 1976 one bought by my gran. It's hit the deck a couple of times though!  As ever Peter, save me one of everything pls lol

ja7CBFG.jpg

7 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

As far as I know it was only seen on photographed on one plane, and the $64 question is whether it appeared on both sides of the aircraft as only the port side was ever photographed as far as we know. The Montex set gives you masks for both sides and let you decide.

I just found out that T6+AN did NOT have the snake painted on the starboard side. There are pics of this aircraft if you Google "Snake Stuka" that does not have the snake painted on the opposite side. Now, IMHO, it looks funny to me with the snake on one side, but that's a matter for the builder to decide. Sorry, I can't post the pic from my office laptop. My Stuka would have the snake on both sides regardless.

6 hours ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

No idea.....but it looks terrific.

Multiple Stukas in this squadron had the Snake. There are quite a few pics of different Stukas with different codes with the same snake scheme.

13 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

As far as I know it was only seen on photographed on one plane, and the $64 question is whether it appeared on both sides of the aircraft as only the port side was ever photographed as far as we know. The Montex set gives you masks for both sides and let you decide.

Were they ever able to hash out whether the snake was sand color, or red, a la Revell?

On 10/16/2023 at 8:24 PM, airscale said:

gonna do some bits for this, I need to stop myself going bananas..

started with the MG15 and having a go at the seat..

FOPHGx.jpg

kit should arrive tomorrow (2nd hand one) so can have a good root around

Peter

So cool! When should we expect these to become available?

Hi,

There are a lot of assumptions about such snake markings. First, we do not know if it was present on one or two sides as unless if you have evidence that pictures of both sides were shot at the same time it could have been added later. So, the mystery stays. With regard to the colour it cannot be the fuselage sand colour. This can be red, another shade of brown or... who knows? Nonetheless, a close examination of enlarged wartime pictures is clearly showing a difference of hue between the fuselage and the snake patches. So, my 1/32 Stuka will get a white and red snake on both sides as I seriously doubt we will ever get the final word about that conundrum.

HTH

Thierry 

The kit I bought last WE has arrived.

It's the very first release as it has swastika decals.

I might have a go in asking Airfix if they would sell decals from the new release.

I've build the STUKA long time ago.

It still looks great.

Edited by Erwin

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

There are a lot of assumptions about such snake markings. First, we do not know if it was present on one or two sides as unless if you have evidence that pictures of both sides were shot at the same time it could have been added later. So, the mystery stays. With regard to the colour it cannot be the fuselage sand colour. This can be red, another shade of brown or... who knows? Nonetheless, a close examination of enlarged wartime pictures is clearly showing a difference of hue between the fuselage and the snake patches. So, my 1/32 Stuka will get a white and red snake on both sides as I seriously doubt we will ever get the final word about that conundrum.

HTH

Thierry 

I have always liked this marking scheme, it was one of my child hood memories, building a big kit, not airfix, but might have been 1/32 with the snake decal down the side.  If I were to revisit this, mine would be on both sides especially since the correct answer is unknown.  But for me it would not look right to have it only on one side.

9 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

HTH

Thierry 

• The fact that all picures of that aircraft show the same side is, by itself, an argument in favor of the "one side" option.
  • Some of these pictures would be better exposed (to the sun) if the other side was photographed.
  • Drawings/nose art in general are more often one-sided than two-sided

I'd say that likelihood of the one-side hypothesis is greater.

Tristan

Edited by Warbird

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

HTH

Thierry 

I am not sure the snakes had red spots. Shouldn't red show darker in the old black and white film? The patches appear pretty light colored; perhaps brown is closer?

On 10/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, Lee White said:

Were they ever able to hash out whether the snake was sand color, or red, a la Revell?

I have seen arguments both ways. As I said above, I don't think it was red as it shows too light for me. I think it is some tan or brown. Maybe an AFV camo color? I haven't done too much research on it yet, might check out some of the desert snakes and see if they used on for inspiration.