New book on scratch building model aircraft, due to be released in 2024

Greg W

Here's a heads up on a book I stumbled across called Aircraft Modelling: Conversions, Scratchbuilding and Superdetailing.  

Link  to where I discovered it.

Have any of you heard tell of of it? 

It is listed as a pre-order, slated for release in April 2024.

Description from Amazon:

"Aircraft Modelling presents a distinguished line-up of master modellers to guide you through the essential aspects of advanced plastic modelling. Via a combination of immaculate photographs, step-by-step instructions, friendly advice, and easy-to-follow techniques, you will be shown how to convert, modify, and superdetail kits, how to model resin and vacuform parts and kits, and even how to scratchbuild entire models. This book will not only greatly improve your modelling skills and efficiency, it will encourage you to push your boundaries, to engage your imagination, and to create models that will go on to inspire others.

Table of Contents

Acknowledgements; Preface; Introduction; Conversions; Resin/Vacuform Models; Scratchbuilding – Claudio Luchina; Super-detailing; Conclusion; Internet Resources; Index"

Edited by Greg W

This is indeed a book produced by @Learstang and he has assembled a wide variety of builds from various modellers which cover lots of varied approaches and techniques. 

Admittedly, Jason was scraping the barrel when he asked me to contribute with a chapter on my 1/32 Halifax, but the others are top-notch!

Well if you are bringing up the rear on this team, I'm sold!!! I love your WIPs and the projects you've tackled and finished to such a incredibly high standard. All of them have impressed and inspired me over the entire time I have been on LSP.

Thanks Tom, this book is looking better and better.

Edited by Greg W

Tom is of course being much too modest. His work in the book is exemplary, if not downright b****y amazing! That's interesting about the Amazon page. I regularly check Amazon to see how my books are faring and hadn't even noticed they had this book ready for pre-order. Well good for them! The book is indeed finished, but right now it's in a holding pattern to be published, which should be in the first half of next year. All the modellers I gathered for the articles are top-notch. Of course, I'm going to say that, but in this case it is true. It has not only articles, but also lots of nice, shiny pictures of models in various states of assembly. I was at least smart enough not to submit any of my models for the book. As a modeller, I make a good editor.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Buy it!

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to this new book, it might be a source of some good info to check out. The now 30-year old John Alcorn books are also worth checking out, FWIW. They were what got me started on my own scratchbuilding journey, I never would have even tried if not for those books.

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, Lee White said:

I look forward to this new book, it might be a source of some good info to check out. The now 30-year old John Alcorn books are also worth checking out, FWIW. They were what got me started on my own scratchbuilding journey, I never would have even tried if not for those books.

Not wanting to hi-jack (no pun intended), but this is what Lee is talking about, it helped me a lot also:

7g2oFN4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Alcorn books are excellent but quite "dry"... There is a lot of text for a not very high number of pictures and drawings. Techniques are reasonably well explained but as the phrase tells it often a picture is better than ten thousands words! This dimension could be noticeably improved. Note that from my perspective very recent books have often the opposite drawback: many good pictures but insufficient captions/text related to the techniques explanation, risks and challenges, drawbacks and benefits...!

On 1/21/2024 at 1:31 AM, thierry laurent said:

The Alcorn books are excellent but quite "dry"... There is a lot of text for a not very high number of pictures and drawings. Techniques are reasonably well explained but as the phrase tells it often a picture is better than ten thousands words! This dimension could be noticeably improved. Note that from my perspective very recent books have often the opposite drawback: many good pictures but insufficient captions/text related to the techniques explanation, risks and challenges, drawbacks and benefits...!

Hopefully the book I'm the editor of will be a nice balance!

Best Regards,

Jason