P-47D Thunderbolt 1/32 - Gabby Gabreski RFI

DugyB

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice work on the brake lines.

Did you use styrene rod? If so, how did you manage all the tight bends without breaking it?

Alain

G’day Alain, yes I use the Evergreen Rod,  size .64, it actually is flexible enough and bends pretty easy. I just use my hands, any tools I’ve learned are wood, metal seems to damage the rod more often. This time I made two individual runs, top and bottom, I tried to stay true to the actual P-47s this time. I used small strip for the bands.  Cheers

Edited by DugyB

The mounting holes of both wheels needed to be cleaned up, both a bit shallow and one wasn’t cast cleanly. Which needed drilling out.  The axles measured in at 3mm so off to the store to buy a drill press.  Lucky enough Dremel make one perfect for the task at hand, I drilled all the way through and now I don’t have to cut/trim any off the axles on the landing gear. And they’re a sweet fit .… wahoo… :thumbsup:

53390584450_e25e4b72b7_b.jpg

53389224177_2a93a4fbac_b.jpg

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Impressive piece of kit Dugy! 

Hey thanks, I googled small drill press, and this was one of the recommended tools. I was lucky a local store here had them in stock, not sure how often it’ll get used ….. probably my next build with aftermarket wheels .. :D

I’ve made it this far, need to decal the prop, do a bit of weathering on it and the tyres, and get moving on to painting, …. soon as I get back from my mini holiday down south gorging out on Bratts and Gluwein…..:D

53396325417_17e504a4c7_b.jpg

and then there’s this, need to sort out my measurement for the red cowl, first mark is 19mils from the lip of the cowling, second mark is 19mils from being flush with the front of the cowling…:hmmm:

53397422908_c7a2700dfa_b.jpg

Edited by DugyB

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mozart said:

You didn’t like the brass barrels? :unsure:

I live near the ocean, high saltwater and at times humid environment, so thought I’d give them a pass. Was worried they’d tarnish, corrode even under primer and paint.  So taking the easy road instead:whistle:

In need of some expert advice and opinions, can the AK Extreme Metal be oversprayed the Tamiya Acrylic Flat White without the problem of a reaction of the enamel on acrylic, Orange peeling etc…. Has anyone ever done this?  Would certainly make my airbrushing job a lot simpler.. :hmmm:

53435012553_41148d1fd7_b.jpg