P-47D Thunderbolt 1/32 - Gabby Gabreski RFI

DugyB

Plugging along well today now that family has left, before I glue in the engine I thought a bit of weathering was in order. These radial engines leaked oil like nothing else, surely there have to be a bit of a mess in there…:hmmm:  oops, just noticed I still need to fill in the cowling latch’s seams…

53344627135_b185087775_b.jpg

53344400203_77d413c284_b.jpg

Oops! But can anyone on this fine forum say, with hand on heart, that they've never done that or something similar.  I know I have!

I think the real test of the true modeller is not that you never make errors like that: it's how you recover (or not) from them.

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Oops! But can anyone on this fine forum say, with hand on heart, that they've never done that or something similar.  I know I have!

I think the real test of the true modeller is not that you never make errors like that: it's how you recover (or not) from them.

If it was on the clear glass it would’ve been a true test of my polishing skills … :D

Edited by DugyB

1 hour ago, R Palimaka said:

Annoying, but that's not too bad...a bit of time sanding and polishing.

And yup, just did a similar thing in some paint on my current build. 

Richard

Yup, nothing that a little elbow grease can’t fix…. Or weathering pastels, dust … :whistle:

On 11/5/2023 at 2:06 AM, DugyB said:

All right, need some help from you guys, does anyone have any experience with thinning these paints?  I’ve tried Tamiya, MrHobby thinners and also just plain water. None of them have worked. I’ve tried airbrushing straight from the bottle and it also was to thick for spraying.  It’s bit perplexing with them…:mellow:

53309436417_e144138df5_b.jpg

I use mr leveling thinner works great

After reading online posts and seeing pics with and without here’s me having a go with making the drop tank not drag Mother Earth. I’ve sawed the mount in half, then again sawed more off each side. I didn’t measure before or after, but maybe 1.5m give or take a tad more have been removed. If it still doesn’t fit well enough I’ll just chuck it like a few others have, wouldn’t mind using it just to add interest though, same with the dropped flaps… :whistle:

53351582402_b4284b5956_b.jpg

53352910855_8c27aa1b4e_b.jpg

I’m gonna sit right here and hold my breath until TAMIYA announce their new 1/32 release of a P-47D, this kit hasn’t been the best of fitting parts, warped (a little) fuselage equaled to this part not wanting to sit flush… think I’ll just leave it too, don’t think it’ll be to noticeable with all the stripes, colour and camo.. :whistle:

53356823815_8c651b09f9_b.jpg