P-47D Thunderbolt 1/32 - Gabby Gabreski RFI

DugyB

Well, I almost hate to do this to you guys because here comes another Gabreski T-BOLT.  I bought this kit preowned, off a dusty shelf many years ago. All the parts were in a single ziploc bag and labeled as complete so I took a chance and nabbed it.  I’ve ordered wheels/tyres, gun barrels, and the Montex Mask set.  Surfing the net has steered me in the right direction on how to try and tackle this job.  Another good reason for building Gabreski’s aircraft is we share the same birthday, so thought why not.  Time to scoot and get going on some more research:)

53165460767_7bd7cd561a_b.jpg

Edited by DugyB

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, DugyB said:

I’ll sort this out today, make a game plane and get started. The previous owner started to dry fit a few engine bits so time for a complete inventory of the parts.

53168203138_5261b60a48_b.jpg

It's a really nice kit. Fitment for me was  good, with most of the filling done with just primer brushed on to the seams. There are a few sink marks on the wings and fuselage, but nothing too server. Don't forget to open up the holes in the fuselage for the belly tank sway braces. It's in the instructions but easy to miss. Ask me how I know...

• 2 weeks later...

From P-47D-25RE the floor was flat, I don´t remember what series Gabby´s mount was, tough.

I´ll recommend a set of new decals, the ones in the Hasegawa box is not good, they had problems conforming around the fuselage.

I was lucky as I had two kits to use for decals so I could cobble together the stripes.

I´ll be following Your build! 

:popcorn:

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

On 9/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, Phantom2 said:

From P-47D-25RE the floor was flat, I don´t remember what series Gabby´s mount was, tough.

I´ll recommend a set of new decals, the ones in the Hasegawa box is not good, they had problems conforming around the fuselage.

I was lucky as I had two kits to use for decals so I could cobble together the stripes.

I´ll be following Your build! 

:popcorn:

Stefan :beer:

Thanks for that tip,   I’ll be using Montex Masks for the Stars & Bars, squadron code letters and the serial number on the tail. And of course kilometers of masking tape.  Only two decals to be used… I hope.. :whistle:

53216976197_1e0240bc95_b.jpg

I enjoyed this kit as my first LSP after returning to the hobby.

Interested to see what you do with her.  One thing I missed was you need to open the holes for the drop tank before you close the fuselage, and there are some well known sink marks in the belly and wing areas, minor and easy to repair. 

Looks great so far!