1/32 Trumpeter TBD-1 Devastator

monthebiff

4 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I've no idea what you mean, you tell me?

Regards. Andy 

I believe he's referring to the "twist" of the propeller as you get closer to the tip vs at the root.  Roughly, the first diagram here.

That said, I just looked at the most recent picture of the prop and it looks fine to me.  Capturing the subtle angle change even in a relatively large miniature scale is challenging and problematic.  Again, it looks fine to my eye.

47 minutes ago, ChuckD said:

I believe he's referring to the "twist" of the propeller as you get closer to the tip vs at the root.  Roughly, the first diagram here.

That said, I just looked at the most recent picture of the prop and it looks fine to me.  Capturing the subtle angle change even in a relatively large miniature scale is challenging and problematic.  Again, it looks fine to my eye.

Thank you for that Chuck, a very interesting insight which I had no idea about! 

I'm pretty happy with it and plenty of work to do before complete with painting, decaling and a little weathering.

Regards. Andy 

While test fitting the fuselage halves and looking through the destruction manual I realised that the bomb aimers doors are supplied to be fitted on the open position and when you try and fit in the closed position they won't at all

20230906-195502.jpg

20230906-195522.jpg

20230906-195740.jpg

20230906-200611.jpg

All a bit poor from Trumpeter with not a lot of thought going in to this area. The main problem here is the three thin support/ hinged parts on each door are to thick in all dimensions and way to long as well.

After some love and care I've managed to get a pretty good fit, first thin the three attachment arms so they fit the fuselage and then mark and carefully cut back the length as well as the thickness but from the back only, hopefully you can see this from the modified kit part on the right in the next couple of pictures 

20230906-202850.jpg

20230906-202905.jpg

And in rhe end ended up with a pretty good fit an definitely worth dealing with this now in the build process rather than later in

20230906-212210.jpg

Some sanding needed here and there but a really nice fot in the end. Hope that helps anyone building this one as it going to be very hard to sort with the fuselage closed.

Speaking of fuselage closed, I carefully cleaned up the Airscale Nordson sight and test fitted 

20230906-212829.jpg

Very nice indeed and just need to see how it works with the windshield.

Regards. Andy 

A bit of an update since my previous post showing the ill fitting bomb aimer doors. If you do decide to fit the doors in the closed position and glue them in to position prior to closing the fuselage halves (which will ensure the bst and cleanest fit) the wing assembly won't fit due to the way the kit has been designed 

20230907-152746.jpg

as you can see there is a lip for the doors to sit on when the wing is in place. After some trimming and a few dry fits a really nice fit was achieved 

20230907-155727.jpg

The fit of the wing/ fuselage at the rear is pretty good

20230907-155848.jpg

Hope that helps anyone going this route, also found a couple of other wing fit issues but more on that later.

Regards. Andy 

I've completed the propeller today, masked and painted the tri- colour tips. I decided to use the Airscale prop decals over the Kora ones I have as I really like the metallic look of the Hamilton decals. After looking at the famous colour Life magazine pictures you can see that the anti glare black painted on the back of the props seemed heavily worn so I chipped this quite heavily

20230910-195857.jpg 

20230910-195944.jpg

Im calling that first sub assembly complete.

Regards. Andy 

I've got to say the general fit of this kit is excellent and maybe just a little tight in places but also some care is needed when reading the instructions. I get the feeling this kit has been designed to have wings folded and bomb aimers doors open. If you want a nice yellow wing bird in all her glory with wings outstretched you need to modify the completed outer wings or they will not fit

20230907_192023.jpg

The problem lies with the rib detail on the wing fold insert which needs removing but there is absolutely no mention of this in the instructions 

20230907_192608.jpg

Modified wing on the right in the above picture and after that the fit was very good 

20230907_192535.jpg

Another area that needs a bit of attention is the fit of the torpedo bay in to the central lower wing 

20230907_160930.jpg

On the face of it it looks like it's to wide but it's actually the locating points in the bottom of the wing being to wide for the part to drop in and once reduced the fit is perfect

20230907_193502.jpg

and a quick test fit with the fuselage which I couldn't resist 

20230907_193141.jpg

Pretty pleased with that, the gaps at the base of the wing will close up once the dihedral is set.

Regards.Andy 

• 1 month later...

Bench time has been at a bit of a premium lately but managed a few hours in the last week. Some more work on the cockpit done with weathering and detail painting 

20231018_204018.jpg

also working on the Airscale instrument panel

20231018_204122.jpg

Working on the radio sets at the moment, also I have my order from ANYZ now so can detail the side consoles.

Regards.Andy