Scalpels

3 minutes ago, Rob Owens said:

In a pinch, you can insert the scalpel blade into a pin vise screw-type collet.

Actually, the blades would probably fit nicely into my smaller X-Acto style handle, so maybe I'll give that a try! At least the blades won't go to waste, then.

Kev

3 minutes ago, Rob Owens said:

Actually, that works! In my stash of cuttin’ tools, I just found an 8mm(?) diameter xacto handle with a No. 15 Rib-Back surgical blade securely in place. No flex, no wobble. . .

Wish I'd thought of that before wasting $12 on a handle! But hey, modelling's nothing more than a grand experiment for me these days.

Kev

20 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Not sure if you are looking for a good x-acto handle but I find the X-Acto Gripster style the best...

HR4-124_1.jpg

All of the x-acto handles I have with the tightening collet near the blade come loose over time.  The Gripster-style never loosens.  And the square nut keeps the knife from rolling off the table and stabbing your foot!

Those are indeed great and will serve for a long, long time.  I had two....  Having said that, after a few years, the plastic "gripster" portion of one of mine started cracking where the metal end is that holds the blade.... First I disassembled it, swapped the plastic part, end-for-end and reassembled.  I then had to wrap aluminum tape around the cracked portion to keep it from splitting more.  Finally, I had to resort to discarding it because both ends became cracked and the knife just wouldn't hold tight any longer (meaning the blade would not be held securely).  I suppose I could've looked around for a tube of the same ID/OD and replaced it but that's too much work for what these cost.  I still have one more that I faithfully use but when it finally fails, I'll go back to the tried-and-true, plain old X-Acto #1 handle (a few of which have lasted me decades without fail).

Edited by Juggernut

On 8/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, Thunnus said:

Not sure if you are looking for a good x-acto handle but I find the X-Acto Gripster style the best...

HR4-124_1.jpg

All of the x-acto handles I have with the tightening collet near the blade come loose over time.  The Gripster-style never loosens.  And the square nut keeps the knife from rolling off the table and stabbing your foot!

Fablus design, apart from the bodge nut to stop it rolling off the table!!!  No ta, will stick with Genuine Swann Morton handles! I must have a dozen at least!

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, Thunnus said:

HR4-124_1.jpg

I love these. At one time, different color bodies were available too, making finding the correct blade in a particular knife easier to visually identify. I don't know if the color ones are available anymore. I've had minor issues with the blade loosening on some handles over time, but nothing a little blue Loctite won't easily cure.

• 2 months later...

Have never got on with X-Acto: I find their blades not that sharp.

Swann Morton Scalpel blades and handles for me - been using them 40+ years for the majority of my modelling and never had any issues with blade fit to the right handles - always snug and safe!

Oh, and very sharp!

EDIT: Actually - I do have an old X-acto razor saw which has always performed well.

Iain

16 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

As an aside, I keep a small, triangular Arkansas stone (whetstone)on my bench to hone X-acto blades with.

I've also heard an old leather belt that can act like a barbers strop can help in keeping them sharp.  X-acto seem stiffer blades than many of the scalpel blades I have.

I've always used those Arkansas whetstones for sharpening periodontal instruments when scraping teeth clean (removing barnacles)