Pat Sparks BOMARC Build

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Good news! I've just test-fitted the missile into the finished launch tower assembly, and it's all good. Not only does it fit perfectly fine, but you can't tell there's a warp in the vertical arm at all. So now I just have to finish the damn thing!

Kev

That's good news Kev, really enjoying this build and what you have done.

Regards. Andy 

BOMARC base is ostensibly finished (aside from some felt on the bottom), but I'm not completely happy with the concrete finish. It's probably close enough, and since I have no idea how to make it better (without risking making it worse), I'll probably just leave it. Happy to receive advice and feedback for next time, however!

Www6Kc.jpg

mDV4BB.jpg

Kev

You could add a piece of matte board to the top section of the base, this will also help with your cutout depth. Just find a color that's close to concrete, sand the base top and, spray some contact adhesive to the base top and matte board. I do this for my display bases all the time, much easier.

Steve

edited-image_zpsr668e5eg.jpg

Edited by A-10LOADER

I've thrown everything I could think of at the BOMARC base in an effort to break it up, dirty it up, and spice it up, and while I have mixed feelings about the result, I'm now declaring it done. The launch assembly has been fixed to the base, and the whole thing now just awaits the missile itself - which I still need to finish!

XK2Mwg.jpg

Kev

I managed to solve my issues with cutting the masks, but of course this led to a new issue - lots of lifting and displacement of the cut shapes:

bGjlh2.jpg

I'm not sure if this is completely salvageable to be honest, but also don't know what caused it, or how to prevent it happening again. I suspect I might be better served printing these particular examples as decals, rather than masks.

Kev

I draw the line at a single thin border around an object/text.  Tough and fiddly to pull off but do-able.  Double bordered line of text?  I don't think I'd attempt that using masks unless it was for a large 1 or 2-letter code.

3 hours ago, Woody V said:

Great detective work, Woody! It definitely seems like problem #1 on that list to me. I guess slowing down the cut speed and trying it again is the only way to find out...

Kev

So, following the tips in the article Woody referenced, I cleared off a section of vinyl from the blade assembly that was left over from the previous cut, slowed the cut speed all the way down, and increased the cut depth by one notch. If anything, the result was even worse:

Rr1qWm.jpg

And when I removed the sheet from the cutting mat, I discovered that the increased blade depth had cause it to cut all the way through both the vinyl and its backing sheet.

At this point I'm going to abandon this approach, as even if it's solvable, I don't feel like wasting the time and vinyl on it. Instead, since the outside border needs to be white, I'm going to use the successful outside cuts I've already done to paint in the white, and then use the inside designs to print decals to go over the white painted sections. As long as the decals print at the correct size relative to the masks (and I locate them properly on the model!), it should do the job.

Kev

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

At this point I'm going to abandon this approach, as even if it's solvable

I don't blame you one bit. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not an exercise in perpetual infuriation. 
BTW, I found that article trying to find out WTH is causing this! Ain't we got fun!
173984899.jpg