Pat Sparks BOMARC Build

LSP_Kevin

Yeah, I think I'm facing a bit of a clash of eras, here. My understanding is that the Revell kit represents a development test stand that only bears a passing resemblance to the launch structures deployed with the production missiles. So the launch tower I'm building is the later production one, while the scheme I'm planning for the missile itself is the earlier one, and the two don't seem to actually go together.

:hmmm:

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. But I can't find any pics of the black & white ones on grey launchers. Even the models show a yellow launcher:

5379056449_e9cecdb68f.jpg

From Revell's boxtop:

Revell-Bomarc%255B01%255D.JPG

I did find a pic of the launcher in grey, though:

Photo379803.jpg

The launch tower in this photo is for the "B" model BOMARC, it is slightly different than the tower for the "A" model, the fuselage clamp on the forward end of the rail is a totally different design than the clamp for the "A".

Pat

Edited by patricksparks

And here's the moment I've all been waiting for: test assembly!

umvkhq.jpg

Tamiya paint jar for scale. This thing is really difficult to photograph! I still have to fit the piston and its knuckle, too, but that will happen after painting.

Stay tuned!

Kev

On 8/5/2023 at 2:28 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

And we have a winner!

AhHgI6.jpg

Just two tries for this one, which is a record for me with a part like this. And that concludes the 3D printing phase of this project.

Here's the clamp fitted over the tail unit:

pj1mDC.jpg

I've also begun the painting process, starting with some Tamiya Fine White Primer out of the spray can:

1UndCC.jpg

The tail end hasn't been done, as that's where I was holding it! I probably won't use the rattle an on it again, though, as I had terrible trouble with paint runs and pooling. Back to the airbrush, I think.

And here's a quick dry-fit of the main components of the launch tower:

2bgCF1.jpg

I still have to clean up all the parts prior to painting and final assembly. I also need to figure out what colour to paint it. I can really only find photos of it painted a mid to light grey, but they also all feature the grey version of the BOMARC colour scheme, whereas I intend to paint mine in the earlier black and white scheme shown in a previous post. Perhaps it doesn't matter much, and the grey will provide a nice contrast anyway.

Stay tuned for the next update!

Kev

This is so COOL!  

On 8/5/2023 at 2:28 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

And we have a winner!

AhHgI6.jpg

Just two tries for this one, which is a record for me with a part like this. And that concludes the 3D printing phase of this project.

Here's the clamp fitted over the tail unit:

pj1mDC.jpg

I've also begun the painting process, starting with some Tamiya Fine White Primer out of the spray can:

1UndCC.jpg

The tail end hasn't been done, as that's where I was holding it! I probably won't use the rattle an on it again, though, as I had terrible trouble with paint runs and pooling. Back to the airbrush, I think.

And here's a quick dry-fit of the main components of the launch tower:

2bgCF1.jpg

I still have to clean up all the parts prior to painting and final assembly. I also need to figure out what colour to paint it. I can really only find photos of it painted a mid to light grey, but they also all feature the grey version of the BOMARC colour scheme, whereas I intend to paint mine in the earlier black and white scheme shown in a previous post. Perhaps it doesn't matter much, and the grey will provide a nice contrast anyway.

Stay tuned for the next update!

Kev

Kev,

You may have already addressed this question but I don't recall the answer:  What are the parallel slits in the vertical stabilizer?

1 minute ago, amurray said:

Kev,

You may have already addressed this question but I don't recall the answer:  What are the parallel slits in the vertical stabilizer?

No idea. You'd have to ask Pat!

Kev

On 8/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Unfortunately they're only transport and storage trailers as far as I can work out, Ray, and nothing like the launch tower. That doesn't mean I can't cheat a bit, however!

Kev

Plenty of gray launchers for the Black/White A prototype:

The clearest video is at the 00:15 and 15:02 marks.

Edited by amurray

Just now, patricksparks said:

I have no idea what the slits are for, here is a close up of the real thing..

Pat

ghPR7qp.jpg

Very interesting!  I've missed the slits before when researching the BOMARC.  A significant design change from the prototype.  And look at the 2 little "whirligigs" . . . (a very concise aeronautical term :doh:)

BTW a quick BOMARC story:

A friend of mine was stationed at Eglin AFB in FL and did numerous test launches of the BOMARC.  After the missile was readied for launch his job was to insert the rocket igniter into the tail.  Not a job your local life insurance agent would wish to underwrite.  I dubbed him a "BOMARC proctologist."  :D

He said the most fun was after the B Model was introduced and the A model became obsolete they would first launch an A Model and then send a B Model to intercept it.

Edited by amurray
typo