Infinity SB2C Helldiver (26 Nov: Finis)

easixpedro

5 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Thanks Dudes. 

Appreciate the comments--helps motivate me as I tackle the PE.  Managed to get the upper half of a wing done last night.  Unfortunately, PE is really the only way to replicate the intricacies of the perforated dive brakes. They look great, but it's a chore (mostly in my head though). Need to channel some of Pig-fighters Zen advice and simmer down a bit. 

All in all, we're on glide slope and about have the ramp made.  Will need to focus though, as I'm already thinking about potential next projects...

-Peter

I do not use PE hardly at all, but as you say, sometimes it is the only option. When I do, I think carefully about how the PE is intended to be assembled and try and see if I can only use part of it (or the bit I need) and combine it with the kit part or other scratch built plastic part, that way I do not have to make a full complicated PE assembly!

Great work Peter.

Derek

Forgot to post this pic the other day. Here’s the aft canopy. I know it’s the one of the major complaints on this kit… mine fit fine. If you look there’s a bit where it looks like mold is a bit wonky. It’s not flash - it’s almost as thick as the kit plastic. Just a few swipes with a sharp blade fixed it though. (And don’t get me started on the aero fairings. They come separately and both went flinging down range like a sabot round…)

ejZWwlN.jpg

And in other news, I have the dive brakes on!!!! Hallelujah! Still need to figure out the actuating mechanism, but this is a milestone for sure!

EzHEETQ.jpg

Working on an APS-4 pod now. Tommy has a good write up and a schematic (with dimensions!): http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/11/things-under-wings-anaps-4.html?m=1

More soon!

-Peter 

Edited by easixpedro

• easixpedro changed the title to Infinity SB2C Helldiver (24 Oct: About those dive brakes)

Thought I’d share a bit about the dive brakes and some details for those wanting to make different variants.

Here’s the kit offering. They might* work for some, but in this scale it leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe if you’re going to have everything closed…but even then they really don’t fit the bill…

nACGva9.jpg

Here’s some up close pics of the PE (minus the actuators, which I haven’t made yet). I hate PE, but man, these look good! Note how you can see the layers, and see through them…just like the real deal.

uFnTMDi.jpg

and from the other side (you’ll note I’ve made and mounted the APS-4 pod…more on that below)

VV5rtWG.jpg

and the other side, complete with spare 75 gallon drop tank from the Trumpeter P-47 kit. 
Fh40pUb.jpg

And for grins, here’s a pic of the Beast in action post war. (Don’t remember where I’d saved this pic from) It’s a good confirmation that my scene looks about right! :) 

yxRbLYk.jpg

Now for anyone contemplating this kit, but wants to make a -1 or -3 with solid dive brakes, here’s some pics. If I was to make these, I’d just make them the same way I did the bomb bay doors, with sheet styrene.

5YkxR7r.jpg

0UCANJs.jpg

Here’s another view of the APS-4 pod. These were carried by the -4E and -5. These pods replaced the ubiquitous Yagi antennas, so it’s one or the other. In all my pics, Ive seen white pods, GSB pods and blue/white pods as they’ve cobbled ‘em together. So that’s what I went with.

gHkboyF.jpg

and the pic that gave me the idea for the blue/white pod. (Note Ive cropped this, as the rest of the pic shows the poor gunner being flung from the wreckage)

RN8wNIJ.jpg

So that’s where I’m at. Have a few bits left to do, but we just picked up our pup from the vet after massive surgery, so will be sometime before I’m back at the bench.

-Peter

• 5 weeks later...

Alright folks, quick update while the bird cooks. Been a hot minute since I’ve posted on the Beast. Our German Shepherd had a TPL surgery, so took lots of time and attention as she healed.

I did manage a stash clearing build last week. Not a LSP build though, so only one teaser pic… But it was good to get back in the groove prior to getting back after the Helldiver 

5IUJ7Zn.jpg

As for the Helldiver, here’s where I’d previously left her. Showed pics to a friend and respected NavAir author, and his first comment was the the gunner always faced forward during the dive. That way they could follow the altimeter and call out altitude. So I carefully got him out and rotated the seat so he’s forward. All that’s left to do is add the ammo belts to the .30s.

vfpxD4w.jpg

8umX91x.jpg

So by my accounting (with my admittedly pea-sized noggin’), the punch list is down to just a few items. Need to do the actuators for the dive brakes. Then the antenna and rigging. Also need to make the aileron trim bits (circled in yellow) and then the radio altimeters (circled in red). I’ll do a write up on those when I build ‘em.

49IFXoI.jpg

That brings us up to date. Hope everyone is well, and Happy Thanksgiving for those of us that celebrate it. I’m thankful for you weirdo’s that follow my crazy builds in our little corner of the web.

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to Infinity SB2C Helldiver (23 Nov: quick update)
8 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Absolutely love it! The detail in the dive brakes is incredible and I love the display. I'm working on an In-flight Mig 3 right now and your build is certainly inspirational. 

Thanks for posting!

John

Thanks, and following your excellent work on that MiG. If you search under my profile, you’ll find plenty of examples of in flight displays. Haven’t built a static display in a long time…

Alrighty amigos, calling her done!

Managed to get the last bits done, including the actuators, aerials and the radio altimeter.  Here’s some for anyone that wants to make ‘em: 

https://aeroantique.com/products/copy-of-antenna-an-69a-pair-radio-altimeter-scr-518-system-dummy?variant=6156248940574

And as always, Tommy has an excellent write up: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/01/world-war-ii-navy-carrier-airplane.html

It’s crazy to imagine the amount of tech thrown into these aircraft. Between systems like this and computing gunsights on the bombers, the US industry was pumping out crazy amounts of material. 

And without further ado, pichurs!

BaER9Nm.jpg

Dc8yLpK.jpg

X7G4JJA.jpg

h3ybcYC.jpg

2ZoRsCx.jpg
(Here’s the radalt antennas. Can barely make ‘em out. Also, digging the exhaust staining - think it turned out well)

bPVD6lr.jpg

And our steely-eyed aviator pressing home the attack!

YwBgmwH.jpg

And here she is next to her stable mate! Need to do some rearranging in the ol’ cabinet, but she’s done.

j5ko5SS.jpg

Thanks for following along. I appreciate everyone’s comments throughout, always helps the motivation levels!

-Peter

• easixpedro changed the title to Infinity SB2C Helldiver (26 Nov: Finis)