Infinity SB2C Helldiver (26 Nov: Finis)

easixpedro

Fantastic build! Very instructive not only regarding the various scratch built aspects on your model but also the tons of additional information on the Helldiver you shared with us. 
may I add a last question: Forward facing gunner during a dive — only in Helldivers but also on board of Dauntlesses?

thanks in advance!

Andreas

1 hour ago, Borsos said:

Fantastic build! Very instructive not only regarding the various scratch built aspects on your model but also the tons of additional information on the Helldiver you shared with us. 
may I add a last question: Forward facing gunner during a dive — only in Helldivers but also on board of Dauntlesses?

thanks in advance!

Andreas

That was indeed part of the conversation. Dauntless gunners also faced forward. They even had a pic of the IPMS national winner from Omaha in 2017 and said modelers choose that as it looks more dynamic, but it’s flat wrong. And I get it, as a crewman, I too would be calling out altitudes as I wouldn’t want my pilot to kill us both by going too low. Call it self preservation :) 

excellent performance of this beast, both as a plane and as a kit! :bow:

as for the position of the GIB helping in reading altitudes, I can't help but remember myself as the young first officer in the CL-215 (where there was simply no such thing as a "too low" altitude) calling the "no like" warning when things got done too narrow for my taste! :mental:

4 hours ago, easixpedro said:

That was indeed part of the conversation. Dauntless gunners also faced forward. They even had a pic of the IPMS national winner from Omaha in 2017 and said modelers choose that as it looks more dynamic, but it’s flat wrong. And I get it, as a crewman, I too would be calling out altitudes as I wouldn’t want my pilot to kill us both by going too low. Call it self preservation :) 

Thank you! That sounds completely reasonable.

Nice job, Peter! Not only a great finish on the model itself, but the dramatic dive angle gives a whole new appreciation for what those boys did back then, with equipment that make us wince just thinking about. Just a fantastic build thread all the way around, congratulations!

Best,

Chris Mayer