Nakajima B5N2 Kate planned - 1:35 - Border Models

Trak-Tor

2 hours ago, Redcap1960 said:

Dear Mr Stambaugh,

Sir, it is beneath you to make such a fallacious and execrable comment. I can only assume that either that you have been unduly influenced by the 'zealots' or that you failed to take the correct dosage of med's prior to writing the comment. Either way, Sir, as both a noble and beloved member of the modelling community, it is beneath your elevated status to say such!

On a serious note, whilst it is not impossible that manufacturers may, in the future, produce the occasional 1/32 vehicle to support and complement LSP's, I don't envisage large numbers to be produced any time soon. Like it or not [unlike some, personally the question is utterly irrelevant insofar as I am concerned], 1/35 is the dominant scale for larger modelling items, regardless of subject matter. I don't see that going away or changing either anytime soon. I am pleased with what Border are doing, as it is not only another manufacturer entering the LSP genre, but it also provides further options and variations for us modellers to choose from. Especially if, once established, they latch onto and kit some of the aircraft that traditional 1/32 manufacturers have, to-date, declined to kit; the 'Kate' being a case in point.

Warm Regards & Good Modelling from the Kingdom of the Rheged.

Gary.     

But you are on the Border payroll so you will say this won't you?

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Maybe we could get all the companies to compromise and do all kits in 1/33.5 scale from now on! 

Interestingly on John's excellent 190 build he decided to use 48th scale seat belts over 32nd scale as he felt they looked much more in keeping with the 35th scale  airframe. Go figure.

Regards. Andy 

4 hours ago, monthebiff said:

But you are on the Border payroll so you will say this won't you?

Dear Monthebiff,

Sorry to disappoint, but the only payroll I am on is the NHS one! I like modelling in large scale for both ground and aviation subjects [plus, lest I be accused of bias], as well as the occasional [but relatively rare] naval subject as well.

It's immaterial to me who produces the kit, as long as it's reasonably accurate and reasonably affordable. I just don't have a hang-up [as do some on this, and other, sites] about scale. It's each unto their own and enjoy modelling and enjoy the ride whilst you can.

Warm Regards from the Kingdom of the Rheged,

Gary

I may have to get the kit.  Although I’m generally against 1/35 as an aircraft scale, the desire to get a modern tooled and detailed big scale Kate may be overwhelming.  After seeing the Infinity Helldiver and Val, I wouldn’t get one from them just to get 1/32, even if they had put one out.  Not worth it to me to deal with the limited run nature of the Infinity kits.  YMMV.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, Trak-Tor said:

themodellingnews.com - Preview: Border Models new 35th scale B5N2 TYPE 97 Kate...

facebook.com/people/Border-Model

374517917_775807531218013_58694550352935

There are many more renders there...

Juraj

Juraj

I killed the last thread with this question, but I will ask it again:

Doesn't something look wrong here?  Check out where the seats are placed in relation to the fuselage.  I can see how maybe the navigator might be OK, with the window so low, but the gunner would barely be able to grab the gun handles, let alone look around, unless he stood on the seat.  And the pilot would not be able to see over the coaming or the sides.  Something ain't right here.

2 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Doesn't something look wrong here?  Check out where the seats are placed in relation to the fuselage.  I can see how maybe the navigator might be OK, with the window so low, but the gunner would barely be able to grab the gun handles, let alone look around, unless he stood on the seat.  And the pilot would not be able to see over the coaming or the sides.  Something ain't right here.

Good spot, that looks (insert four letter word) "very" hilarious. 

You know why this is don't you, its to squeeze a 32nd scale aircrew in obviously :clap2:

36 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

That does seem strange doesn't it. The pilot's seat and the navigator's can move up and down , I kind of see that. The gunner's seat though is a head scratcher , looks like a lawn chair! Let's see what the plastic looks like . It would be fairly easy to fix but then again we shouldn't have to . Clearly a question to the powers that be at Border.

13 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

That does seem strange doesn't it. The pilot's seat and the navigator's can move up and down , I kind of see that. The gunner's seat though is a head scratcher , looks like a lawn chair! Let's see what the plastic looks like . It would be fairly easy to fix but then again we shouldn't have to . Clearly a question to the powers that be at Border.

It gets stranger and stranger.  Look at the pilot's area again.  As currently configured, the joystick is going to smack him on the chin, BUT the throttle, etc appear to be at the right height.  If the seat's raised to place the joystick at (roughly) elbow height, the pilot will still have difficulty looking out.  Raise it higher so he can look, then the throttle is way below him.

6 hours ago, Mark_C said:

It gets stranger and stranger.  Look at the pilot's area again.  As currently configured, the joystick is going to smack him on the chin, BUT the throttle, etc appear to be at the right height.  If the seat's raised to place the joystick at (roughly) elbow height, the pilot will still have difficulty looking out.  Raise it higher so he can look, then the throttle is way below him.

Yeah, that's a little odd to say the least . Could it be the way the CAD is projected, I don't know much if anything about CADS? If not THAT needs to be addressed . I want to see the plastic built up.

There's one thing to consider, the CAD gives the impression of the cockpit area being rather roomy. I got the chance to see the Kate [or what's left of it] in Hawaii and I was floored by how small the fuselage was . I mean this thing looked like a giant sewer pipe, it really isn't very big at all and although the interior was pretty much gutted , it isn't big there wouldn't be much room . If you look at the plane, it looks like they designed a big wing and oops we need a fuselage for the guys to sit in , like it was an afterthought. I'm going to see what the actual plastic looks like before I say it's wrong. I built the Hasegawa Kate and after it's all said and done it would be pretty snug for the crew and the fuselage looked dinky.