Simmerit builds a 1/32nd Gazelle Heli - first build on Large Scale Planes

simmerit

Fantastic. I love projects such as these - proper old-skool.

I always find transparencies on these types of kit the biggest headache but I’ve never tackled something with so much glass… I wonder if it may have been easier to have the entire forward section made from clear plastic but you’d still have a major join down the centre of the windscreen to deal with. 

I’m looking forward to more updates as they come - and good luck!

Tom

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

Fantastic. I love projects such as these - proper old-skool.

I always find transparencies on these types of kit the biggest headache but I’ve never tackled something with so much glass… I wonder if it may have been easier to have the entire forward section made from clear plastic but you’d still have a major join down the centre of the windscreen to deal with. 

I’m looking forward to more updates as they come - and good luck!

Tom

thank you - appreciated.  Not sure what pace I will go at as I’ve been full on with it since last Thursday (off and on) and I’m back at work now.  There’s not much to it, but as you say the Perspex is going to be the challenge.  I’m now moving on to looking at how I mount the cab, but I plan to do quite a bit of the interior before that’s assembled.  That’s the intention anyway!

I deffo need a ‘good luck’.  

Edited by simmerit

A friend of mine is a crazy helo modeller (probably the only guy who got a IPMS UK best of show with a large scale helicopter model!). He fully scratchbuilt the bubble canopies of a 1/48 Alouette 3 and more recently a 1/35 Loach. In such a case, he is relying on normal plastic to build the front fuselage skeleton. He uses at least three layers of different strips to have an internal ridge corresponding to the perimeter of each window. The external layer is actually very thin. Then he vacforms multiple copies of the bubble canopy in different sections. He cuts each window roughly (oversized). Then he puts it on the skeleton and draws the perimeter with a fine permanent marker. Finally he cuts the window with fine scissors and if required adjusts the edge with sandpaper while testing the fit. This is time consuming but results in an incredibly realistic canopy bubble. Moreover you can add all the windows at the very end of the painting process without glue as they just click in! In your case, you can use the white vacform as the initial layer of such a skeleton.

I mentioned a few posts ago there was a twist I couldn’t get out, and having had a post about the subject on ARRSE, I’m delighted I didn’t take the razor saw to it.  Every day a school day.

The fin part of the fenestron is actually an aerofoil shape when viewed from above to provide a little torque reaction in fwd flight, so not symmetrical. The tail boom skins are also different thicknesses each side, but that’s real rivet counting…’

I am convinced that there is nothing some one on this site will not attempt.  “Oh, look!  I have an old Aurora Gotha bomber kit, three plastic egg cartons and a bottle cap.  I know!  I’ll build a 1/24 SR-71 with fully detailed engines!”  And off he goes.

10 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I am convinced that there is nothing some one on this site will not attempt.  “Oh, look!  I have an old Aurora Gotha bomber kit, three plastic egg cartons and a bottle cap.  I know!  I’ll build a 1/24 SR-71 with fully detailed engines!”  And off he goes.

You actually need two bottle caps for that. lol.  I do await the day someone works a 1/24 jet (besides the Harrier). 

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

That pretty well covers most of my scratch build projects! :lol:

Derek 

Should be able to grab the odd half hour here and there today - unfortunately OC domestic has me on decorating duties......

I've cut the new bulkhead out

Gazelle

surprisingly, its a good fit!

Gazelle

This was a big test in terms of viability for the build, and its passed the test!

There's quite a bit to do to it before fitting and one of the lads on the other forum who is ex Teeny Weenie Airways has very kindly photographed every square inch of one for me.  Piccies came in on Thursday morning, so lots of great reference shots to draw on.

Gazelle

There is a big hold behind the seats which is where the crew stored personal weapons, bergans, webbing, the aircraft cam net, aircraft blanks, bubble covers and various other bits and bobs.  I'll do my best to do it justice/. I wonder if I can cram a cam net in there and two bergans + 2 x SMGs

Managed to crack on a bit in between walking the hounds and decorating....

Gazelle

Not masses of progress but the floor panels are cut out.  The centre footwell is where the rear seat cushions get stored when they are on for things like a casevac or transporting light cargo.

Had a go with the dremel also to get the access panel cover in.  It's not glued clearly.  Next is to start on the bulkhead

52819635794_ac6b9fc6b9_b.jpg