Zoukei Mura Fw-190 A-4

Jan_G

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

From a marketing standpoint , if the basic line is more like Hasegawa (hoping) , no engine, just a decent cockpit and

gear bay, they wouldn't be able to charge alot more than Hasegawa. I also hope they realize that the basic line would

outsell the SWS line and pay for future projects. Weeee'll see.

no-one has actually seen what a basic line kit will be, and the more i think about it, the more I wonder whether they will not be the Hasegawa equivalents that everyone seems to think they will be / want them to be

i am struggling to see how they will make for instance this Fw190 a lot simpler to build if it still starts with the whole (often faked) internal structure thing? 

And if it doesn't, then it's going to be a lot of new tooling for all the main parts, because they typically don't fit to each other, but rather around / on to the various bits of internal structure

My biggest beef is the lack of rivet detail on their kits - all that faffing putting it together and you're *still* going to make me rivet the damn thing to get a decent surface look?

But despite all of the above, I will still get one these A-4s in a heartbeat! The early 190s are such a gap in the market with so many cool schemes and marking options.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by nmayhew

I hear you, Nick! 

I've lost count of how many models I've done a complete rivet job on, at this point. When I first tried riveting, I had my doubts, but after getting a few riveted builds under my belt, it has reached the point that most models just don't look complete to me without them! I know ZM has done a fair job of representing rivets on some of their kits and hoping the 190s are similar. However, the shots that I'm seeing don't seem to be showing anything in that department. We'll see, I guess.

I currently have a PCM kit in the stash, as well as a Montex A-4 conversion and a Hasegawa base kit to use it on. I've done each of those options in the past and I know they can be made to look really nice. However, I just have a hunch that  the ZM kit is going to be a step up from those offerings, even if I end up busting out the rivet wheel for it. My biggest problem with the A-3/4 version of the Fw 190 is that there are more schemes that I want to build than I likely have years left to live.:lol:

John

Definitely would have liked rivets. I don't mind doing it but if I didn't have to, even better. Nick, good point about the internal structure supporting the outside. On the G-14 the outer skin for each wing is six panels plus the internals to do what is two parts for a Hasegawa 109 wing. Definitely would require new tooling if they wanted to simplify it.

Jay

9 hours ago, tucohoward said:

Definitely would have liked rivets. I don't mind doing it but if I didn't have to, even better. Nick, good point about the internal structure supporting the outside. On the G-14 the outer skin for each wing is six panels plus the internals to do what is two parts for a Hasegawa 109 wing. Definitely would require new tooling if they wanted to simplify it.

Jay

Good points all, and that new tooling cost will be passed on to US, so I have to ask what will be saved in the pricing over the one with the innards. I have to applaud you guys on going the extra effort in re- riveting , a lot of work . Speaking ONLY for myself I won't do it for a variety of reasons which I won't get into at this time, but again that's me.

16 hours ago, nmayhew said:

And if it doesn't, then it's going to be a lot of new tooling for all the main parts, because they typically don't fit to each other, but rather around / on to the various bits of internal structure

Would you say it would require 'all' the internal structure or maybe just the main wing spar and a few bulkheads ?

After looking at it and thinking about it the wing is still pretty simple. The ribs and stringers are one part and then the spar is another. All goes together easily. Really the only thing I would get rid of is the engine sprue and replace it with a simplified means to mount the prop, guns, and exhaust ala Hasegawa.

Jay

Discussion of rivets may be premature, I am not aware that photos of the final kit have been posted yet.  I have not had my hands on the new 109 series, the Henshel or the new Japanese plane they did, did those have rivets?  I look foreword to see a final version, I will be tempted to order one of these when pre order comes around.

Edited by cbk57

8 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Discussion of rivets may be premature, I am not aware that photos of the final kit have been posted yet.  I have not had my hands on the new 109 series, the Henshel or the new Japanese plane they did, did those have rivets?  I look foreword to see a final version, I will be tempted to order one of these when pre order comes around.

The 109s do not have rivets, not a problem for me just to say

1 minute ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Rivets aren't a deal maker/breaker for me, even though I prefer them. General shape, detail and price are, however.:)

John

Hear, hear kind sir agreed 100%! As an aside I don't recall any rivets on Hasegawa stuff and I really don't hear much kvetching about it ,of course I could've missed it. Just less I have to deal with, most renderings of rivets are generally over scale to my eye speaking from the many years I worked on real 1/1 scale aircraft as I've said before that's me . You all can do as you please I won't criticize you one iota 

I have built the 1/48 Eduard 190s which have very nice Rivet detail.  I think this would be well served with Rivet detail but if they have not done it before likely will not see it here.  i may not let that stop me though from getting one.  We shall see.  

• 1 month later...