Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Mediocrity is not one of your character traits visible on this Forum Denis! :P:D

When I see what I'm doing and what others are doing, I tell myself we've got a long way to go... :rolleyes:

Small update: I've reworked some panels with RLM 76 + 20% white for fun to make them look nicer, and I've put some shadows on the ailerons coverings (?) to give them more relief with RLM 76 + 10% black.

All in all, I'm just about satisfied.

Before:

18p8.jpg

After:

elov.jpg

zrea.jpg

wbxt.jpg

8dbq.jpg

ds32.jpg

Edited by Furie

16 hours ago, Furie said:

When I see what I'm doing and what others are doing, I tell myself we've got a long way to go... :rolleyes:

Well stop doing that. We all have different styles and approaches with different goals and expectations.

There's no common finish line. Our worst critics are ourselves. When I get an idea to try something, my

only pressure is to satisfy myself with a new challenge and since there are no cash or prizes I'm the only

player in my own game. I always win a blue ribbon in the display only category.  :clap2:

Wisdom tells me that you are right, passion tells me to make efforts again and again, and not to rest on my laurels.

But in all honesty, I’m quite happy with myself, with my perseverance, with the techniques I learned and it’s already a small victory for me.

Edited by Furie

Small but stressful update.
Installing MONTEX masks on the outside of the 3 canopies, as well as on the inside of the rear canopy (as there's an internal metal upright to be painted in RLM66), protecting the inside of the 3 canopies with adhesive tape, then painting in MRP RLM66.

The MONTEX masks are really precise, but I'm having trouble getting them to fit (senior moment!).
I painted and glued the REVI, then glued the front and rear canopies.
Small bug in the matrix: the rear canopy isn't wide enough to fit properly on either side of the fuselage. So I had to force the clear plastic slightly and tape it in place to keep it in place while the glue dried.

t4rb.jpg

8fjs.jpg

No fear there!

giphy.gif

Tomorrow, I'll continue and finish the BB'ing with the white paint, and then I think I'll paint the RLM 04.(and before or after, I don't know yet, I've got to mow the lawn!).

Edited by Furie

Beautiful paintwork there!  Be careful with the Montex black vinyl masks.  I've had multiple cases where the masks lifted during the painting process.  A combination of the stiffness of the vinyl material and weak adhesive make them a questionable choice on curved surfaces.  At least for me.

RLM 76 BB'ing, continued :
-fairing door
-front-to-back fuselage
-horizontal stab

I always paint with MRP RLM 76, diluted 50%, pressure 1bar.
I reworked the BB'ing with white and black paint to reduce or accentuate certain panels or hatches that I didn't like 100%.

0urr.jpg

3wtq.jpg

gfpz.jpg

tq7t.jpg

I work in thin successive layers until I finish panel by panel, with a lot of RLM 76 on the center. This allows me to control the transparency of the BB'ing and thus achieve a subtle effect, which is more visible in real life than on photos. It takes quite a long time to do, as I don't do large areas at a time, but rather very precise and localized surgical strikes. 

My personal satisfaction index: over 80%. :lol:

1zcg.jpg

vyxc.jpg

x8vk.jpg

wt7d.jpg

i4xf.jpg

1at7.jpg

fx9m.jpg

-RLM 04 to follow, or undersurface B/W cross with MONTEX masks.

Edited by Furie

Merci infiniment pour ton message TAG, cela fait plaisir à lire.

Mais tu sais, je n’ai rien fait, c’est mon aérographe qui a fait tout le travail !

Thank you so much for your message TAG, it's so nice to read.
But you know, I didn't do anything, my airbrush did all the work!  ;)