Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

My first steps with the Black Basing technique.
I'd read quite a lot, seen a lot of YT videos and so I launched myself into this technique.
0.2 needle for my airbrush, 50% diluted white MRP paint, 1.2 bars of air pressure and off I went!
It's long, rather difficult, I had to remove the cap at the end of my airbrush and in the end I'm quite satisfied for a first time.

I'm taking a break and will start again later because my eyes can't take it anymore. 
I'm waiting for your opinions for those who use BB because I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into.

kq4k.jpg

ilc2.jpg

61se.jpg

Salut, Denis

Not sure if you're aware there are a couple of ways to speed up the black basing process, the first is to simply make a more diffuse pattern with your airbrush, no need for such a tight weave on every single panel unless you plan on filling in each panel individually that way. If you're going to give this an overcoat after the squiggles, it might be more effective to pull back a bit and let more of the black seep thru so it gives more variation and depth to the final coat.

The other way is to use a so-called splatter template which makes things even faster! For this you can go the homemade route and save yourself some cash by simply using the scouring pad you use to clean your dishes like Scotch Brite (here's a link to a thread about that technique) or the green abrasive side on those sponges you find in every supermarket, just peel it off the yellow part.

Or you can get yourself a 'proper' splatter template, which can be made of brass or thick paper stock or even carbon fiber although that just seems like total overkill for something you can make yourself for a few pennies. There are a few companies that make these like Artool, AK Interactive, and Uschi van der Rosten but if you do an internet search you'll find many other options, including templates for streaks, spills and stains, all sorts of weird shapes and effects. Templates are VERY handy and will make black basing a less tiresome experience for your eyes, back, neck and hands, and you can also use the template on top of your final coat to add even more depth and variety to your finish.

Your 109 is looking quite sinister in its current black guise, looking forward to seeing the final paint job come together!

Hope that helps,

- Thomaz

Edited by TAG

Thank you very much Thomaz.
There are indeed many variations on the BB.
I don't have the impression, as you point out, that I took the fastest one!
I'm inspired by videos to make my 109, hoping that the final result will resemble what I've seen.
As they say in France: it's at the end of the fair that you count the cow dungs! :lol:
Sorry I can't answer any more of your questions, but I've got to get back to the torture chamber.
Thanks again for detailing all these different methods.

Denis on the dark side of the force!

Edited by Furie

I managed to make good progress on this BB.
It's not completely finished on the front of my Bf109 because I didn't glue the 3 canopies and I also made a mess that can be seen on the photos just in front of the windshield.

hclu.jpg

I used the structural lines of the airplane as well as the rivet lines I made myself to make this BB. I hesitated for a long time between this method (black + white + camouflage paint) and that of Thunnus and Tag (black on the structure lines + black splatter template + camouflage paint).

The one I chose is extremely long, but it allows me to highlight the position of each element precisely.

What's more, by using this method I've inaugurated my new airbrush, and even if it's not an Infinity, it allows me to work precisely. And I have to admit that I've taken to trying to work as finely as possible with its capabilities, just for fun!

kt7j.jpg

77m9.jpg

jh5c.jpg

0xsh.jpg

0xcw.jpg

This afternoon, I'll finish off the underside of the wings and apply a coat of RLM 76 to finally find out if this method works. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A question for @Thunnus : on these 2 BB photos you've done, I'd like to know if before painting your BB black, you painted a coat of gray beforehand?

IMG-8571.jpg

IMG-8572.jpg

Edited by Furie

20 hours ago, TAG said:

Salut, Denis

Or you can get yourself a 'proper' splatter template, which can be made of brass or thick paper stock or even carbon fiber although that just seems like total overkill for something you can make yourself for a few pennies. There are a few companies that make these like Artool, AK Interactive, and Uschi van der Rosten but if you do an internet search you'll find many other options, including templates for streaks, spills and stains, all sorts of weird shapes and effects. Templates are VERY handy and will make black basing a less tiresome experience for your eyes, back, neck and hands, and you can also use the template on top of your final coat to add even more depth and variety to your finish.

Thanks for the links Thomaz, I've just had a look and it looks very interesting indeed.
I received these but haven't tried them yet:

Sabb71a825a0848fb8b0fa824c0944465z.jpg

Sc032d23127c344039ed34d184b0766cbL.jpg

Well, I applied a little sand and light brown paint to some of the panels underneath, followed by MRP RLM 76 diluted at 50%.
The result is quite convincing for a first BB'ing.
I only did the 2 wings and left the 2 tip wings as I'd be painting them later in RLM 04.
For some reason, "wing tip" translates into "saumon d’aile " in French.
Which goes to show that baguette, camembert and frogs aren't all we like here!

:P

obtc.jpg

18p8.jpg

iqyl.jpg

aqyf.jpg

Edited by Furie

Thanks for the encouragement Mike.

With the BB'ing, depending on the paint you use, you can quickly go from "not enough" to "too much" in one pass of the airbrush. 

Like, for example, with the wing panels painted brown, which I had a lot of trouble blending and then all of a sudden, in a single pass of airbrush, found themselves entirely covered with RLM 76! 
You can't necessarily see it in the photos, but the mottling is there and I'm going to paint a few details and hatches with lightened RLM 76 to enhance the contrast.

It's quite fun to do, as long as you have a fairly accurate airbrush. ;)

Edited by Furie

Thanks Jaro, it's nice for me to know that there are positive outside opinions and that I haven't screwed things up, given that I've come so close to giving up so many times because I think I'm so mediocre.