Vietnam Marines A-6A improvements

Bill Cross

It has been several years since I have been here, so reports about my death are somewhat exaggerated.

I have purchased the Trumpy A-6A Intruder and intend to do one of the planes from the AoA Decals sheet "Intruders from the Beach" that covers Da Nang and other land-based USMC "mud movers."

First, any words of wisdom from you folks who've built the kit would be appreciated before I mutilate a $200 kit.

I understand from Red Fox they are working on a cockpit upgrade. No one seems to make an AM cockpit, so I presume the kit one is good?

I'd like to upgrade the MERs (which apparently are shite and wrong), and the ordnance, with a preference for 28 Mk.82s for the load-out. The choice seems to be between Reskit and Eduard. Both look very nice. Here is the pro/con list:

1. Reskit more detailed MERs (Eduard seems to require all "plumbing" be added by modeler);
  2. Both markers provide decals for the MERs and the bombs, so a net "even" there;
  3. Eduard MERs seem to have more detailing, including anti-sway pads the modeler adds. Can't tell if the Reskit ones have the pads molded-on or what;
  4. Reskit SEEMS to include extended fuse options; Eduard requires a separate set.

That about covers it. Glad to have some mojo back, glad to be back here.

Id get Quinta far before i bought the Redfox set the difference in 32nd in quality is large.

Particularly switch size and shapes where Quinta have a significant advantage.

The Quinta instrument faces also are WAY more realistic looking.

Have a couple of Redfox sets and my choice now is if Quinta is available ill just buy them they are superior.

Enjoy the big A-6 build.

Probably covered in AOA correction instructions with the decal set you are using so you may be aware but the kit ejection seats are GRU-7 when for an A they should be GRU-5s which look a fair amount different. I believe AMS Resin still makes the GRU-5 in 1/32. AMS does replacement wheels if the kit provided rubber style are not your cup of tea.

Profimodeller makes a nice turned metal pitot tube for the tail.

If your chosen subject has the ALQ-100 antenna on the wing pylons you might want to replace the "boom" portion with a metal rod or something as the kit provided are flimsy and could be beefed up a little in diameter. I was thinking AMS made replacements for those as well but didn't see on Sprubros so I might be mis-remembering that.

As Petrov27 states, GRU-5s are a big thing. I converted mine to a Prowler, but remember the IP and coaming being a little lacking. The seats too, but you’ll have to change ‘em anyway. You’ll have to check your references thoroughly as the A variant went through a lot of changes in the early years. Off the top of my head, fuselage speed brakes or not, pitot tube location from the wing to tail, tailhook fairing and lastly armor on the engine doors. There’s also all the EW gear that a bird may or may not have had. 

I was ok with using the kit intakes for what I did, others take umbrage with ‘em. I’d also replace the tires,  both mains and nose. Starfighter here has a great store on Shapeways called “Scale Navy Stuff” and he sells some really nice nose tires.

good luck and post pics!

-Peter

I believe you can get away with the GRU7 seats for later in the era. All A-6A's were eventually modded. 

I'm currently working on mine, and haven't found any major pitfalls yet. There are lots of open panels so I fear there may be some issues. 

Cheers!

Isn't there something about a step or offset in the cockpit that shouldn't be there? I cant remember the particulars.

FYI here is what I have gathered for my A-6A: 

Avionix 32061 Cockpit; Quinta Studio QD32108 Interior 3D Instrument Decals; Rhino 32008 Intakes; AIMS 32095 Wheels, AIS 32101 GBU5 Ejection Seats; Eduard 32353 Exterior; AoA Decals 32001, 32002 Stencils

Might have to add those Reskit MER's!