Recent state of the art 1/32 injected moulded jet question

Talon

I'm wrestling with 3 older jets in 1/32 trying to get them to be a reasonable resemblance of what they should be.

I also have Tamiya's F-16 and F-4J, and Academy's F/A-18 and while they are good, they too have issues.

Wondering what recent "state of the art" 1/32 injection (not resin) moulded jets there have been that would be state of the art. In my opinion, that would mean something of the quality and fit of the Tamiya 1/48 F-4 and F-14, not the likes of the Italeri 1/32 Tornado, Starfighter, etc.

All thoughts welcome, and also, why you would consider your choice to be "state of the art" - looking for some future subjects to build.

Edited by Talon

The Tamiya 1/32 F-16s are probably currently the pinnacle of modern 1/32 jet aircraft models.  Not sure what issues you are seeing with them.  The F-4s have a few issues, but they are over 20 years old.  The Academy F-16s and Hornets are also very good.  But kits by other manufacturers don’t really measure up to the Tamiya F-16s, or Academy kits.  The Revell Super Hornet is a fit mess, the Trumpeter kits are hit and miss, but even the best are behind the Tamiya F-16.  Same for the KH kits, although since they’ve folded up, it’s kind of a moot point.  As you noted, the Italeri F-35s and F-104 aren’t to the same level either.  

Unfortunately, other than Italeri, no one is really making new modern 1/32 jet aircraft any more.

I've built the Viggen and other than a few spots the construction was actually easier than a Tamiya 1/32 scale kit to include the F-16. I also built the D558-1 as was just as pleasantly

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

While I haven't built the Tamiya F-16 , I have done the Academy F/A-18D which wasn't bad at all FWIW. Tried to build the Revell hornet and fergit about it ! It most assuredly is a mess and a half [ one of the very few kits to beat me]

d by the fit of a resin and 3d cast kit

5 hours ago, Talon said:

I also have Tamiya's F-16 and F-4J, and Academy's F/A-18 and while they are good, they too have issues.

I’ve built several Tamiya F-16’s. About the only “issues” I’ve seen are the lack of defog vents on the glare shield, no towel rack grab handles, the slab pivot fasteners are a little too pronounced, no static whip on the top of the vertical tail, and the common F-16 stain from the AOA probe covers are molded as panel lines. The decals are thick.

Pretty easy to manage really.

The kit falls together and the shape is spot on.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Not that many recent modern jets in resin either, except Jetmads.  The Jetmads Viggen is very nice, but I’m not sure that I’d rate it above the Tamiya F-16 either.

I'd suggest HPH L-39 and B-52 as a start: both superlative.

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Time to look at the resin maybe?

9 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd suggest HPH L-39 and B-52 as a start: both superlative.

"Wondering what recent "state of the art" 1/32 injection (not resin) moulded jets there have been..."

The peak of injected molded 1/32 are probably the Tamiya F-16's. Next would be the Academy Hornets. I think the Tamiya F-15's would be next. After that I think you are looking at KH Mirage 2000. Trumpeter has a couple of decent ones, on my list would be the A-4's, A-6's and the F-8's. The Tamiya F-4's are OK and still the best starting point ( I think), but lots of issues and they are actually almost 30 years old at this point, having been released originally in 1995. There are no perfect kits without issues. If I were to recommend one, it would be the Tamiya F-16, and whatever issues you have with them will be minor in comparison to most other kits, and falls under what is frequently referred to as "some modeling skills required".

Edited by eoyguy

The nearly twenty year-old Tamiya F-16C again, followed by the twenty year-old Academy Hornet. 

I also rate highly — though am just going by what others say with regards ease of build — the contents of the detailed Trumpeter A-6A and MiG-29 9-12/13 Fulcrum A/C kits. I've been too ill to build them but am eager to do so. You would have to prise the boxes out of my dead fingers, they look that appealing.

As far as jets go, after a flurry of activity in the first fifteen years of this Century it's all gone a bit quiet. The best IM styrene jet kits are 1/48 nowadays, new 1/32 having become effectively just propellerland (yes, they all look the same to me too).

Tony

I would also say the 1/32 Tamiya F-16´s - apart from the very few missing details Pete listed above it is very detailed, accurate and fits beautifully..

When it comes to surface details and molding I would say that the last Kitty Hawk kits like the Mirage 2000 are perhaps even a little more refined than the Tamiya kits. But the fit and overall package does not even come close.. 

I would love to have seen what Wingnut Wings could have done with a modern jet.. :popcorn:

/Niels