PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

17 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Nice one Max, it's all in the preparation which you are handling well.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I read on your build that you tried the upper wings on first approach, but that didn’t work for you so they came off and you resorted to the whole wing sub-assembly method? I’m still undecided which is the way forward! 

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Dennis. I read on your build that you tried the upper wings on first approach, but that didn’t work for you so they came off and you resorted to the whole wing sub-assembly method? I’m still undecided which is the way forward! 

Hi Max, it was the miss alignment of the wing gun and landing light cut outs that stopped me, maybe there is a way round it but I gave up.

Cheers

Dennis

I've created a bit of a problem for myself because I decided to use the Fawcett forward centre section of the lower wing, but I didn't make a very good job of fitting it.  Consequently I ended up when trial fitting the wings with slight anhedral which looked rather horrible!  So I had to cut it out (twice :blush:) but I hope it's third time lucky!

I6a2lS.jpg

Whopping great gaps to fill but that's OK(ish).  In the meantime while glue sets firmly I'm doing a bit on the wheel wells, here drilling out the small clear panels which gave the pilot a view downwards to check that he hadn't forgotten to lower the undercarriage.  

6oVQT9.jpg

49 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looks like you have a job on there Max! I never used the Fawcett resin wing part as I remember at the time thinking it was a step to far for me.

Regards. Andy 

Me too Andy, though I’m a sucker for cutting bits off models and adding new bits. It’s all set hard now so I think the angles at least are ok. 

15 minutes ago, mozart said:

No doubts about that Dennis! The kit reminds me of the old Classic Airframes 1/48 kits, imperfect as they were I loved those. 

I've got a few of those Classic Airframe kits in the stash but I only built the Whirlwind which was challenging but came out great in the end and was well worth the effort.

Cheers

Dennis

The “fitting” of the wings kind of evolved this afternoon, not my intention at all!

I started off doing trial fits now that the lower centre section was firmly set - I could see where more plastic “shims” were needed along the wing roots so added those, followed by trial fits of course which showed that I wasn’t too far off. So a little more sanding and a further trial fit had me reaching for the Mek-Pak liquid glue. This stuff sets pretty quickly so within a few minutes the top starboard wing was in place; the forward section first followed by the aft. The port upper followed soon after….both will be left to set firmly overnight. 

I’ll be removing the lower wing tomorrow for work on the wheel wells etc and a bit of reshaping in some areas….pictures then. 

Edited by mozart

Whole wing assembly:

RjfvwB.jpg

whole wing disassembly!  :coolio:

fC3Lf9.jpg

A little filling then cleaning up to do on the wing root join but I'm feeling pretty confident that all will go well.....famous last words? :blush:

These arrived in today's post:

RYY5tX.jpg

The left one is for this Mk I kit (glad to see on the label that Spitfire AND PCM Hurricane listed) and the pointy one is for Revell's IIB, my next build, and it will be this Hurricane:

CrfYfm.png

flown by my father in 1944.  The Hurricanes of the Rhodesian Air Training Group had served in the North African desert campaigns so were rather tired old warbirds but the Chief Flying Instructor Ted Shipman had some brought down to S Rhodesia as a bit of "fun" for his flying instructors.  They were all given a coat of silver paint but this example shows the camouflage showing through the silver.  Note that the lower footstep has been left down and the handhold open!  

7 hours ago, mozart said:

Whole wing assembly:

RjfvwB.jpg

whole wing disassembly!  :coolio:

fC3Lf9.jpg

A little filling then cleaning up to do on the wing root join but I'm feeling pretty confident that all will go well.....famous last words? :blush:

These arrived in today's post:

RYY5tX.jpg

The left one is for this Mk I kit (glad to see on the label that Spitfire AND PCM Hurricane listed) and the pointy one is for Revell's IIB, my next build, and it will be this Hurricane:

CrfYfm.png

flown by my father in 1944.  The Hurricanes of the Rhodesian Air Training Group had served in the North African desert campaigns so were rather tired old warbirds but the Chief Flying Instructor Ted Shipman had some brought down to S Rhodesia as a bit of "fun" for his flying instructors.  They were all given a coat of silver paint but this example shows the camouflage showing through the silver.  Note that the lower footstep has been left down and the handhold open!  

That's going to be an interesting painting/weathering challenge!  Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

That's going to be an interesting painting/weathering challenge!  Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

Isn’t it just! I think I’ll try exactly what was originally done, so start off with desert scheme camo followed by “restrained” silver over the top. It’s a while away so plenty of time to think and maybe experiment on a mule. 

It’s going to be a challenge for sure.

The trouble with silver pigment is that it is completely opaque, so a coat a bit too thick might just completely cover the underlying camo paint.

A light coat may show little specks of metallic that would not look good.

Definitely some tests will be the best way to go.

Just a thought, perhaps if your suggested technique doesn’t work, maybe paint all silver, and overcoat with camo paint thinned with some clear to create an effect you can build up over the appropriate areas of the model.

Alain