PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

Focussing on the tail end, rudder specifically, today.  A detail that is missed on the PCM kit, the rudder horns and the balances "weights" on the trim tab:

DpCBEE.jpg

Checking against the Revell new tool Hurricane:

Itr1kK.jpg

I'll probably do a bit more to the figure later so I put together a "pot pourri" of shots from the Pathe News scramble video:

BAJYZC.png

I need to find a suitable ground crew figure too from somewhere.

Edited by mozart

Starting to look more and more like a Hurricane!

VHqCyP.jpg

dsmYkk.jpg

Lz38tM.jpg

The rudder control horns were some spares that I had over from the Silver Wings Tiger Moth and the trim tab balance is at the moment just a small strip of spare PE. The rudder was definitely worth separating and mounting individually....gives the model a bit of "attitude" in my opinion! 

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

That’s looking rather great Max, personally prefer hawkers to supermarine and the lineage from all their 1930s biplanes is clear 

Thanks Guy, I have to agree 100% about the Hawker lineage....pedigree is everything!  I'm going to be doing the Spitfire prototype before too long, K5054, but the Hurricane one, K5083, has been on my "to do" list for a long time.  I think the PCM fabric wing is the only real candidate as a starter kit but I'll have to search hard for one of those.  I have another Hawker Fury (the biplane) to do as well when time permits! :coolio:

Edited by mozart

This close-up was worth some scrutiny, especially the metalwork on the wings:

vl5gYm.png

I had lost some definition around the wing roots whilst achieving a smooth finish, and that fairly prominent row of "rivets" doesn't really feature very well on the PCM kit, so I measured and cut out the panel (including rivet locations) using Oramask, applied it to the wing then drilled out the rivet points.  I put some fine plastic rod in each:

abWHiz.jpg

g0jJmB.jpg

and with a coat of silver, the rod sanded but it needs a bit more I think:

cnYNGn.jpg

I'm very tempted by these:

OtbZgw.jpg

though I don't envisage doing "an Andy (monthebiff)" and coating the whole plane in them.  Useful addition though I think.

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

Wow those look impressive, would need to make sure that my magnifier was handy.

Cheers

Dennis

Agreed and they're on order* Dennis!  We'll see how useful they are, I can think of lots of applications for them already.

*and apparently despatched already, within 2 hours of ordering, along with some precision tweezers and assorted nuts and bolts! 

Edited by mozart

12 hours ago, mozart said:

This close-up was worth some scrutiny, especially the metalwork on the wings:

vl5gYm.png

I had lost some definition around the wing roots whilst achieving a smooth finish, and that fairly prominent row of "rivets" doesn't really feature very well on the PCM kit, so I measured and cut out the panel (including rivet locations) using Oramask, applied it to the wing then drilled out the rivet points.  I put some fine plastic rod in each:

abWHiz.jpg

g0jJmB.jpg

and with a coat of silver, the rod sanded but it needs a bit more I think:

cnYNGn.jpg

I'm very tempted by these:

OtbZgw.jpg

though I don't envisage doing "an Andy (monthebiff)" and coating the whole plane in them.  Useful addition though I think.

Max, you won't regret buying these, I have a few sets from ANYZ and they are extremely easy to work with as long as you do the prep correctly. Take a look at the switches on the port side pilots panel on my Devastator (silver switches on a black triangular base)

20231030_222204.jpg

They look daunting but work really well. Super build so far Max. Don't forget to open up all those drain holes in the rear fuselage as well which is often overlooked.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy for the prompt and Mike for the info from “the Bible”, ie the wonderful Finnish Hurricane walkaround on BM.  Drainage holes drilled in the aft floor pan, the forward one is next. I’ve also drilled out the entrance holes in the fuselage for the rudder cables:

YZbFzb.jpg

Edited by mozart

1 minute ago, monthebiff said:

Lovely job Max, this is cmong along very nicely indeed.

Regards. Andy 

Cheers Andy, I’m loving the PCM Hurricane plus add ons, this is my kind of modelling! I’m really looking forward to the Revell Hurribomber but I’m a bit concerned that it might be a bit too “straightforward”, being the perverse bloke that I am! Which reminds me, I must finish this straightforward Spitfire:

2QHAiS.jpg

then decide which of these is next:

Av4j9B.jpg
(one of the Hart’s will be a Hind)

YaI6BI.jpg

OLhkCG.jpg

and the Border Models Lanc is too big to be in shot! 

MpGqd3.jpg

Happy New Year and good health to you all! :beer4: